VMware Communities
toca1337
Contributor
Contributor

Help! Cannot copy & paste text between guest and host in VMware Workstation 7

I am running VMware Workstation 7. Windows 7 is guest. Windows Vista is host. Latest VMware tools are installed. Copy/Paste options are enabled in settings.

However, I cannot copy TEXT from the guest OS (such as from notepad) and paste it to the host OS (such to to notepad). On the other hand, I can copy text from the host OS and paste it to the guest OS.

Is this a bug in Workstation 7? I don't recall having this problem in Workstation 6.

Help?

Tags (2)
12 Replies
tricky911t
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Keep an eye on this thread in case someone can shed some light.

Did you install any windows updates yesterday?

Edit

Oh and are you aware that VM have stated Drag n Drop doesnt work in full screen mode either!

0 Kudos
toca1337
Contributor
Contributor

The issue in the other thread is not quite the same.

No, there is no recent Windows update I installed that can brick the feature.

I am only referring to copy/paste of text, not drag n' drop, though I do appreciate this extra info.

0 Kudos
amartinovsky
Contributor
Contributor

hi all,

i have the same issue. Workstation 7.1 on Windows 7 x64 Host with Windows XP SP2 Guest and latestet VMware Tools installed.

Copy/Paste into the Guest works fine, but out of the Guest into the Host not !

Any hints ?

cheers

andreas

0 Kudos
kzr1k9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

WS 7.1 Paste problems here as well.

However I can Copy from the Guest and Paste to the Host pretty much reliably. Copy from the Host and Paste into the Guest works only once or twice per guest boot. Both host and guest are running XP SP3.

0 Kudos
CHMartinK
Contributor
Contributor

I have a sometimes similar problem. Sometimes Copy-Paste does not work in both directions. After a reboot, it starts to work again.

Sometimes it works the whole day, sometimes the problem comes up after view minutes of working...

Host: Win 76 64 Bit VM Workstation 7.1.1

Guest: Win XP 32 SP3 Bit

Does anyone have an idea whats happen? 😐

Thanks

Martin

0 Kudos
iBeta
Contributor
Contributor

I had these problems. Setting the vmware app to start as administrator fixed it.

This might be coupled with the UAC settings, cos i don't remember so much trouble when it was in 'quiet mode'. Now it is 'off', anyway if not you could try and look at the vmtools service in the guest. If Unity is also broken, then vmtools service problems are very possible.

Have just realised this is WS7, in an ancient thread. But i got these probs on WS8, and this was one of the first finds from google.

0 Kudos
paulspignon
Contributor
Contributor

I have WS 8, on Win 7 64-bit with Debian Lenny running in the VM. Copy-paste does not work whatever I do. Tried not-full-screen, start VMware as admin, stop/start vmware-user process in the Linux. And of course I have VMware tools installed and the copy-paste option is enabled. It just doesn't work, and it's a real pain. It used to work fine a few years back, I forget the exact release, and the host may have still been running XP.

Can anyone suggest anything else?

Btw, I note to my annoyance that VMware KB doesn't work properly in Chrome.

/Paul

0 Kudos
princox
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, toca1337

I wish my reply is not too late.

I also have same problem exactly. The one thing I solved this problem(issue) is...

[Assuming two things]

1. Your guest OS is running now.

2. VM > Settings > Options > Guest Isolation > Checked 'Enable drag & drop' and 'Enable copy and paste.'

[Procedure]

1) VM > Reinstall VMware Tools

2) On the guest OS screen, 'Remove'

3) Shutdown guest OS

4) Restart Host OS (optional)

5) Start guest OS

6) VM > Install VMware Tools

7) Choose 'Advanced (Mode)'

😎 Enjoy your copy & paste function.

Many Thanks!

Warmest Regards,

Jeff D. LEE

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

princox wrote: Hi, toca1337 I wish my reply is not too late.

toca1337 started this thread over 2 years ago (Apr 21, 2010 11:11 AM) so it's quite safe to say its too late! Smiley Wink  Although, better late then never! Smiley Happy

princox
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Right On! :smileygrin:

you are GURU though! (^^)(__)

Jeff

0 Kudos
regeter
Contributor
Contributor

I am on VMWare 9 and have the issue. There is no advanced mode, just Custom.
I've had this issue on and off with different guests at all times. I have started to install google talk on guests in order to copy paste stuff around.

0 Kudos
OscarDavey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hello,

Try to Uncheck and the Check again "Enable copy and paste"

option in Guest Isolation menu of Virtual Machines Settings.

Hope will help.

Yours, Oscar

0 Kudos