VMware Communities
jkb96
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Having a problem connecting to the internet with Workstation 6.5

I am having a problem accessing the internet on Windows Vista Business x64 on VMware Workstation 6.5. My host computer is Windows 7 professional 64-bit. I have left everything as the default settings. On my host computer I have my wireless connection connected to my router getting an IP via DHCP, and it is connected and on the internet. I also have 2 more connections, VMware Network Adapter VMnet1 and VMnet 8 both are listed as No Internet Access under Access Type and are listed as unidentified network. On my guest OS I am connected via Nat and when I first start my virtual machine my network adapter shows as connected with local and internet access but after about 5 seconds it changes to Local only. My host computer is using an IP scheme of 192.168.1.x and my guest os is using 192.168.19.x. I'm not sure where to begin. I've tried google and to know avail. I hope I have not confused things by giving too much information that may be irrelevent and possibly left some important things out. Please help. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Check if disabling the host firewall resolves. Also (I know you are not using bridged, but check it anyway) http://kb.vmware.com/kb/760

Marcelo Soares

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Check if disabling the host firewall resolves. Also (I know you are not using bridged, but check it anyway) http://kb.vmware.com/kb/760

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
jkb96
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the response, I read the article you attached and tried with the firewall disabled as well as with bridged with the firewall enabled and disabled and neither solution resolved my issue. Do you think that the problem is in the fact that my virtual machine is using a different subnet from my host machine? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

0 Kudos
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

If you is using NAT, you must have different subnets. In bridged mode, you should have the exact same subnet as the host machine. I am almost sure something on the host is dropping your connection... maybe an antivirus or something like this...

Marcelo Soares
jkb96
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, I am using Symantec Endpoint Protection for my virus and firewall and I checked the log files and it is definitely blocking traffic on the vmware. I am going to go about trying to find out how to add an exception for vmware unless you know how to do it or can point me in the right direction.

0 Kudos
srnhpp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What about when you are using bridge mode with your wireless adapter? Will you get IP from your DHCP router?
Lets try this.
Virtual Power
0 Kudos