VMware Communities
jetman
Contributor
Contributor

Having The Dreaded VMWare USB Arbitration Service Error 31

Unfortunately, this PC is a x86 I just upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7.  Workstation 7.1 worked perfectly on XP and it installed okay onto Windows 7, just can't get USB support in my old VMs.  Read the posts about rolling back the USB Root Hubs drivers, but that's not possible for me.  The USB Root Hubs use Microsoft drivers (this is an older HP/Intel mobo) moreover the roll back button isn't even lit.

Device.Manager.png

In trying to scrutinize everything closely, I observed that the Intel Universal Host Controllers employs a usbfilter.sys (from AMD) and in the System Event log hcmon reports "Detected unrecognized USB driver (\Driver\usbfilter)" error immediately prior to the VMWare USB Arbitration error.  Is this information relevant or helpful ?  This PC can't be replaced immediately, so I hope someone can suggest a fix for this issue.  I was proud of myself to have found a source for those drivers, now could they possibly be causing me grief ?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
jetman
Contributor
Contributor

I haven't had many hours/days to try this fix, but this post:

Re: How can I fix USB Arbitration won't start Error 31: A device is not functioning

gave me the info to resolve this problem.  My thanx to the VMWare community....Smiley Happy

0 Kudos