VMware Communities
remo408
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Having N/W issues when switching between snapshots

Hmmm...well then accessing the shared folders won't solve my original issue well but the information was really help full.

I would like to explain my issue in detail to see if you guy's have a possible solution.

We are having some n/w issues like when you take a snapshot the system is falling out of our domain and we need to add it to the n/w to get access to it.

It's noticed when you have a snapshot that's on n/w and you revert back to the one which is not and come back to the previous snapshot which is in Network but guess what even this snapshot will fall out of n/w but this is not the case when you move b/w two snap shots which are in n/w.

Well we are possibly thinking of two solutions here

1) To have the root on N/W but that's possible only for new machines

2) To just take snap shots of a particular drive and have the other drive on n/w .

but these solutions can only be possible if we are starting up again . Is there a way or is there anysetting that i should takecare to get pass this issue.

One more thing for the first solution i specified if i have my root fall of n/w by any chance then in future accidentally if i revert back then all my other snapshots will fall off the n/w.

So is there something i can do?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rsa911
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Do you know if some group policy is active on your domain for the max number of days between machine account pwd changes ?

All in all, there's no immediate risk in disabling the periodic password change and see if it solves your issue or not...

Altough from a security stand point it's best to leave the default mechanism in place, I honestly don't think hackers and the like need this outdated security mechanism to comprise a typical windows machine...

so I say: give it a try and report back Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
remo408
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can Some one comment on this......

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I believe there is a knowledgebase article dealing with snapshots and domain membership. I believe there is a registry entry/ies you can change - possibly a Domain policy, however - in order to allow this (having to do with aging of the computer account in the domain).

0 Kudos
remo408
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Petruska,

Thanks for your prompt reply.....

>>I believe there is a registry entry/ies you can change - possibly a Domain policy, however - in order to allow this (having to do with aging of the computer account in the domain).

From what you mean is there a registry entry that i need to change on my host system or is something that we need to do in extra while placing the system on domain.

>>I believe there is a knowledgebase article dealing with snapshots and domain membership

Can you point me to the DOC, so that i could go through and see if it has something that can solve my issue

0 Kudos
rsa911
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

You need to disable the automatic machine account password change mechanism...

see here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/175468

remo408
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This was helpfull but can you relate this to my issue and how could disabling password change would help staying on n/w when switching between snapshots

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The issue is that when you revert to an older snapshot which was taken before the current computer account changed its ID and/or password, your domain thinks (correctly) that your computer is not correctly authorized. Read that MS knowledgebase article.

0 Kudos
rsa911
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Do you know if some group policy is active on your domain for the max number of days between machine account pwd changes ?

All in all, there's no immediate risk in disabling the periodic password change and see if it solves your issue or not...

Altough from a security stand point it's best to leave the default mechanism in place, I honestly don't think hackers and the like need this outdated security mechanism to comprise a typical windows machine...

so I say: give it a try and report back Smiley Happy

0 Kudos