VMware Communities
vmman34
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Has anyone nested Hyper V inside VMWare workstation and got a VM to start?

Hi, I have created a Server 2016 VM inside of VM Workstation and installed the Hyper V Role using setup in this guide https://protechgurus.com/install-hyper-v-on-vmware-workstation/

I have also opened Hyper V and created a VM.

But I get the following error when I attempt to start the VM.

HVS01-2019-06-30-12-10-37.png

The Server is a HPDL360e G8 and the following BIOS settings have all been enabled.

bios.JPG

But I am still getting the hypervisor is not running message.

Any ideas?

Thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The two important BIOS settings, which need to be enabled are the top two from the sceenshot you've provided.

If both of them are enabled, then please attach the "Hyper-V" VM's current vmware.log file to a reply post.

André

0 Kudos
vmman34
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi a.p.

All of the features are on in the BIOS and I can't see a reason for why it is doing it.

Here is a screenshot of the lastest events from the Hyper V Host Servers vm.log.

sshot.JPG

It looks like the vcpu was starting up certain features but I can't see any errors at the time.

So I don't understand why the guest VM is failing to start with the hypervisor message.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The screenshot unfortunateyl doesn't help. Please attach the complete vmware.log.

André

0 Kudos
vmman34
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

a.p.

Hi, I have attached the log file but I can't still cant see anything that may be preventing the guest VM from starting on the host.

I suppose the other way to test it would be to install Hyper V on the physical host itself, then create a Virtual Server with the Hyper V role on it, and see if I can add and run a VM within that.

At least that would prove that my hardware can support nested virtualisation I can get the VM to start. And the only thing it could be after that is VMWare Workstation related.

0 Kudos