VMware Communities
InToGraphics
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Has a i7-2820QM any advantage over i7-2720QM running Workstation?

Dudes and Dudettes,

I'm going to replace my desktop with either a Sandy Bridge Mac Book Pro 17, or a Sandy Bridge HP Envy 17 3D (if HP ever releases it in The Netherlands).

I have 2 VMware Workstation 6.5 (Win) licenses, which I will upgrade to 7 when I've purchased the notebook.

With Workstation 7 (Windows) in mind, will there be any advantage to go for the i7-2820QM instead of the i7-2720QM ?

I'll be switching between :

3-4 simultaneous 512MB Ubuntu Server VMs (windowed and minimized), and Aptana Studio in a Ubuntu Desktop VM (alternating full-screen or windowed),

and

1 Oracle DB Express with Logic Server in a Ubuntu VM (windowed and minimized), and Oracle Fusion Middleware, Oracle Tuxedo, and Oracle JDeveloper in a Ubuntu Desktop VM (alternating full-screen or windowed).

And I'll also have IBM Client Access running on the host with at most 6 terminal/printer sessions opened at once (negligible impact).

When not running any VMs, I'll be modeling in Cinema 4D Prime with Sketch & Toon, drawing in Illustrator CS4 and a just a little Photoshop CS4, Unity 3D Free, browsing, watching the occasional (3D) movie from the ODD, not the HDD, and not doing any gaming.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Looking at the specifications from Intel, with the exception of price,  and comparing the differences between the two, shown below, the only significant difference is with the 'Intel® Smart Cache and all the remaining specification not shown below were identical.  The obvious and expected differences, Clock Speed, Max Turbo Frequency and Bus/Core Ratio, are negligible when comparing two processors when there is only a 0.1 GHZ difference between the two.

Processor Numberi7-2820QMProcessor Numberi7-2720QM
Clock Speed2.3 GHzClock Speed2.2 GHz
Max Turbo Frequency3.4 GHzMax Turbo Frequency3.3 GHz
Intel® Smart Cache8 MBIntel® Smart Cache6 MB
Bus/Core Ratio23Bus/Core Ratio22

So the real question should be are you willing to pay the price difference to gain such a marginal increase in the Clock Speed, Max Turbo Frequency and Bus/Core Ratio for the additional 2 MB of Intel® Smart Cache.

I truly doubt one would be able to perceive a 0.1 GHZ difference at that speed however an additional 2 MB of Intel® Smart Cache is an appreciable amount and for a Power User this can make a difference however lets face it it always comes down to price so I say buy as much computer you can afford while getting the system that has all the other features you need/want.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Looking at the specifications from Intel, with the exception of price,  and comparing the differences between the two, shown below, the only significant difference is with the 'Intel® Smart Cache and all the remaining specification not shown below were identical.  The obvious and expected differences, Clock Speed, Max Turbo Frequency and Bus/Core Ratio, are negligible when comparing two processors when there is only a 0.1 GHZ difference between the two.

Processor Numberi7-2820QMProcessor Numberi7-2720QM
Clock Speed2.3 GHzClock Speed2.2 GHz
Max Turbo Frequency3.4 GHzMax Turbo Frequency3.3 GHz
Intel® Smart Cache8 MBIntel® Smart Cache6 MB
Bus/Core Ratio23Bus/Core Ratio22

So the real question should be are you willing to pay the price difference to gain such a marginal increase in the Clock Speed, Max Turbo Frequency and Bus/Core Ratio for the additional 2 MB of Intel® Smart Cache.

I truly doubt one would be able to perceive a 0.1 GHZ difference at that speed however an additional 2 MB of Intel® Smart Cache is an appreciable amount and for a Power User this can make a difference however lets face it it always comes down to price so I say buy as much computer you can afford while getting the system that has all the other features you need/want.

0 Kudos
InToGraphics
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I was aware of the minuscule difference in GHz, and the 2MB Smart Cache difference from this comparison I made : ark.intel.com/Compare.aspx?ids=52231,52219,50067,52227,

According to Intel, Smart Cache's purpose is to make the CPU better adjust between performance and power saving modes. (Might be truth, or just marketing. I do not know.) I didn't know whether the extra 2MB would also impact desktop virtualization. And couldn't find anything conclusive on the net about "Smart Cache and virtualization".

That's why I asked if picking the i7-2820QM would have any advantage over picking an i7-2720QM.

But from the last paragraph of your reply it looks like the differences between the 2, shouldn't influence my CPU choice.

Thanks.

0 Kudos