VMware Communities
DannyMill
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hard disk (SCSI) Internal Error

Hello,

I have a virtual machine which I have been using for a while. Yesterday I ran into a few problems, for some reason the hard disk is missing when viewing the virtual machine configuration and when I try to run the virtual machine it asks me to browse for the missing .vmdk file. If I select the .vmdk file the machine was using before I get a internal error message pop up, could some please advise what is wrong.

Thank you

Danny

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

From the vmwate.log:

Failed to open 'E:\Windows 10 x64 - Rockwell Automation\Windows 10 x64-s025.vmdk

One of the files (...-s025.vmdk) that make up the virtual disks is missing. Please see whether it has been moved, or e.g. quarantined by you A/V. I assume (hope) that the VM's folder is not being affected by OneDrive, because that's another known reason for missing files.

If you cannot find that file, it is possible to create a dummy file with the required metadata, so that you can at least access the virtual disk again. This will of course result in some data loss, and file system corruption.
In order to be able to create such a dummy file, I need the VM's small .vmdk descriptor file, i.e. the one without -s00x in its file name.

André

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Can you attach file containing a listing of the E:\Windows 10 x64 - Rockwell Automation\ folder in a reply to this thread?

One thing to check. Are you running an antivirus utility? If so, check to see if it has quarantined the virtual disk file or a slice of it?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
DannyMill
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry for my misunderstanding, what exactly do you mean by a file containing a listing of the folder? like all the files contained in the folder E:\Windows 10 x64 - Rockwell Automation\ ?

Thank you

0 Kudos
DannyMill
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello, please see the attached screen shots of the files contained in E:\Windows 10 x64 - Rockwell Automation\ folder.

Thank you

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

From the vmwate.log:

Failed to open 'E:\Windows 10 x64 - Rockwell Automation\Windows 10 x64-s025.vmdk

One of the files (...-s025.vmdk) that make up the virtual disks is missing. Please see whether it has been moved, or e.g. quarantined by you A/V. I assume (hope) that the VM's folder is not being affected by OneDrive, because that's another known reason for missing files.

If you cannot find that file, it is possible to create a dummy file with the required metadata, so that you can at least access the virtual disk again. This will of course result in some data loss, and file system corruption.
In order to be able to create such a dummy file, I need the VM's small .vmdk descriptor file, i.e. the one without -s00x in its file name.

André

DannyMill
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Andre,

Thank you very much for your reply. I have managed to get the -s025.vmdk file and now the virtual machine is working again. Thank you for your support.

Danny

0 Kudos