VMware Communities
carleton
Contributor
Contributor

HOWTO: Import a 64-bit Win 7 machine?

I just upgraded to VMWare Workstation 7.1 so that I can virtualize my 64-bit Win 7 dev machine before reinstalling the OS. I installed VM Workstation on my secondary dev server to "Import" the 64-bit machine. I keep getting the following:

Failed to connect to IPC$ on 172.21.0.19. Reason: Unspecified error in remote execution mechanism

Giving up trying to connect to IPC$ on 172.21.0.19

Task failed: P2VError REMOTE_UFA_FIREWALLED(172.21.0.19)

Transition from InProgress to Failure requested

Transition succeeded

I tried installing VMWare vCenter Converter Standalone on the target machine (172.20.0.19) , but that doesn't help. I tried installing it on the other machine, the one I want to do the copy and it cannot install something on the target machine.

I did find instructions on how to install the admin shares on Win 7 (
macine\C$ and
machine\ADMIN$).

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
joehecht
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

0 Kudos
carleton
Contributor
Contributor

I simply cannot believe that in two months and over 100 views, NOBODY knows how to get VMWare 7 to import a 64-bit Windows machine.  Does VMWare even bother to read these forums or does one HAVE to pay them money to get any type of help?

0 Kudos
carleton
Contributor
Contributor

This blows my mind:  I just got an email from VMWare telling me that there have been 155 views and still, after 2 months NO ONE has an answer for me.  Is the ONLY way to get support from this company is to pay for it?  Even Microsoft reads their forums and replies to them.  I would think someone from VMWare might have a though, or at least a link to some instructions.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi
must be bad timing ...
we have this cases regularly - last win7-64 bit import we discussed was yesterday

Ulli

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

yes it's just bad timing, you might want to bump the thread for better visibility at times.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

have a look at last case
http://communities.vmware.com/thread/297314?tstart=30

0 Kudos