VMware Communities
Sloth77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

HGFS (shared folders) leaks host handles

Hi,

I've been meaning to post this for a while as I've seen this issue for some time.  The HGFS filesystem seems to leak Windows handles quite badly when transferring files from host->guest (and possibly the reverse).

Below is a video showing the issue (using SysInternals Process Explorer):

If you look at the bottom right at the "Handles" section, you can see the handle count shooting up.  Bear in mind the *entire* handle count in Windows was only about 45k (according to TaskManager) before starting and you can see my point.  The file was 1.5GB in size.  Copying files significantly larger (i.e. 50GB+) brings the host to its knees and I have to kill the VM.

This is with:

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1

VMware Workstation 9.0.1

Ubuntu 12.10 VM

VMware Tools 9.2.2-983683

AFAIK, everything is the most recent version.  VMware tools was install with all the default options.  I've also seen this in previous versions of VMware (8 & 9.0.0) and other Linux guest OS (Redhat 4)

Is this a known issue?

James

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
steve_goddard
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

James,

Just to let you know, the handles being leaked are Windows synchronization event handles not file handles.

I should be able to get this fixed and into the next VMware point release.

Thanks. Steve

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Sloth77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

So I guess no-one else is experiencing this?

Is there a better place for me to post?

James

0 Kudos
_ZAB_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Same problem here.

VMware Player 5.0.1 build-894247

Guest system Ubuntu 12.04

can't find a bugtracker here

0 Kudos
steve_goddard
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi all,

I am the main developer for the shared folders (HGFS) feature. It looks as though I can reproduce this issue myself too.

Apologies for letting this slip through the net. However, I am looking into this and will try and get to the bottom of this so we can get this addressed.

Thanks. Steve
Sloth77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Excellent news, thanks.

James

0 Kudos
steve_goddard
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

James,

Just to let you know, the handles being leaked are Windows synchronization event handles not file handles.

I should be able to get this fixed and into the next VMware point release.

Thanks. Steve
0 Kudos
Sloth77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the update.  Do you have any idea when the next point release will be?

Cheers,

James

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

FWIW VMware Policy doesn't allow their employees to discuss things like release dates, unannounced features, etc.  So you'll just have to wait until it's actually released.

0 Kudos
Sloth77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Understandable.  I'll just keep an eye out then

0 Kudos
_ZAB_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This bug is already half a year old. There is no player that can open vmx created in 5.x player and did not suffer from this bug. Please can you provide any info when this bug will be fixed or ask Steve for a patch? This issue really spoiling our live.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

_ZAB_ wrote: This bug is already half a year old. There is no player that can open vmx created in 5.x player and did not suffer from this bug. Please can you provide any info when this bug will be fixed or ask Steve for a patch? This issue really spoiling our live.

There really is not much more to say then I've already said as VMware policy is what it is in cases such as this and I'm quite sure Steve got an email, just like I did, by you replying to this thread and if he has anything more to offer that he's allowed to say about the issue other then what he already has then he probably will.

0 Kudos
steve_goddard
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi _ZAB_,

I cannot add too much more than I have already stated earlier.

However, I can confirm that I have fixed the bug, it is going into future releases and point releases for Workstation.

It will be in the next updated release so please download and install it as soon as it is published. When exactly that will be I am not allowed to say.

If you are on Workstation 9 I hope that your lives will improve shortly.

Sorry that I cannot be any more precise.

Thanks. Steve
0 Kudos
steve_goddard
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

The releases with the fix for this should be available now. So if you have not already upgraded please do.

Thanks. Steve
Sloth77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yep, just gave it a whirl (copying 9GB data host->guest, host=Win7 64-bit, guest=Ubuntu 12.04) and handle usage (according to Process Explorer) was normal.

Thanks for fixing this,

James

0 Kudos