VMware Communities
pepelegalbr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HGFS not working on Kali Linux

The Host is runing VMWare Workstation 9.0.3 build-1410761

The Guest is a Kali (uname -a: Linux kali 3.12-kali1-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 3.12.6-2kali1 (2014-01-06) i686 GNU/Linux)

And I trying to install VMwareTools-9.2.4-1398046.

I had this error when trying to install VMwareTools-9.2.4-1398046

/tmp/modconfig-ogGpKq/vmhgfs-only/file.c: In function ‘HgfsOpen’:

/tmp/modconfig-ogGpKq/vmhgfs-only/file.c:658:27: error: incompatible type for argument 3 of ‘HgfsSetUidGid’

In file included from /tmp/modconfig-ogGpKq/vmhgfs-only/file.c:45:0:

/tmp/modconfig-ogGpKq/vmhgfs-only/fsutil.h:92:6: note: expected ‘uid_t’ but argument is of type ‘kuid_t’

/tmp/modconfig-ogGpKq/vmhgfs-only/file.c:658:27: error: incompatible type for argument 4 of ‘HgfsSetUidGid’

In file included from /tmp/modconfig-ogGpKq/vmhgfs-only/file.c:45:0:

/tmp/modconfig-ogGpKq/vmhgfs-only/fsutil.h:92:6: note: expected ‘gid_t’ but argument is of type ‘kgid_t’

make[4]: ** [/tmp/modconfig-ogGpKq/vmhgfs-only/file.o] Erro 1

make[4]: ** Esperando que outros processos terminem.

/tmp/modconfig-ogGpKq/vmhgfs-only/fsutil.c: In function ‘HgfsChangeFileAttributes’:

/tmp/modconfig-ogGpKq/vmhgfs-only/fsutil.c:680:20: error: incompatible types when assigning to type ‘kuid_t’ from type ‘uid_t’

/tmp/modconfig-ogGpKq/vmhgfs-only/fsutil.c:682:20: error: incompatible types when assigning to type ‘kuid_t’ from type ‘uint32’

/tmp/modconfig-ogGpKq/vmhgfs-only/fsutil.c:685:20: error: incompatible types when assigning to type ‘kgid_t’ from type ‘gid_t’

/tmp/modconfig-ogGpKq/vmhgfs-only/fsutil.c:687:20: error: incompatible types when assigning to type ‘kgid_t’ from type ‘uint32’

/tmp/modconfig-ogGpKq/vmhgfs-only/fsutil.c: In function ‘HgfsSetUidGid’:

/tmp/modconfig-ogGpKq/vmhgfs-only/fsutil.c:1664:21: error: incompatible types when assigning to type ‘kuid_t’ from type ‘uid_t’

/tmp/modconfig-ogGpKq/vmhgfs-only/fsutil.c:1672:24: error: incompatible types when assigning to type ‘kgid_t’ from type ‘gid_t’

/tmp/modconfig-ogGpKq/vmhgfs-only/filesystem.c: In function ‘HgfsInitSuperInfo’:

/tmp/modconfig-ogGpKq/vmhgfs-only/filesystem.c:234:15: error: incompatible types when assigning to type ‘uid_t’ from type ‘kuid_t’

/tmp/modconfig-ogGpKq/vmhgfs-only/filesystem.c:240:15: error: incompatible types when assigning to type ‘gid_t’ from type ‘kgid_t’

make[4]: ** [/tmp/modconfig-ogGpKq/vmhgfs-only/fsutil.o] Erro 1

make[4]: ** [/tmp/modconfig-ogGpKq/vmhgfs-only/filesystem.o] Erro 1

make[3]: ** [_module_/tmp/modconfig-ogGpKq/vmhgfs-only] Erro 2

make[2]: ** [sub-make] Erro 2

make[1]: ** [all] Erro 2

make[1]: Saindo do diretório `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.12-kali1-686-pae'

make: ** [vmhgfs.ko] Erro 2

make: Saindo do diretório `/tmp/modconfig-ogGpKq/vmhgfs-only'

The filesystem driver (vmhgfs module) is used only for the shared folder

feature. The rest of the software provided by VMware Tools is designed to work

independently of this feature.

If you wish to have the shared folders feature, you can install the driver by

running vmware-config-tools.pl again after making sure that gcc, binutils, make

and the kernel sources for your running kernel are installed on your machine.

These packages are available on your distribution's installation CD.

[ Press Enter key to continue ]

---------------------------

There is any hope for sharing files between host and guest?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pepelegalbr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok! After a couple of hours searching on Internet I have found someone that has the solution (https://github.com/rasa/vmware-tools-patches).

The Guest is a Kali (uname -a: Linux kali 3.12-kali1-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 3.12.6-2kali1 (2014-01-06) i686 GNU/Linux)

1 - Run: apt-get install dkms linux-headers-$(uname -r) build-essential psmisc

2 - Run: git clone https://github.com/rasa/vmware-tools-patches.git

3 - Run: cd vmware-tools-patches/patches

4 - Remove every folder except "vmhgfs".

5 - Get the last version of VMwareTools clicking on VMWare Bar > VM > Install/Reinstall VMWare Tools. It will open a virtual CD containing the "tar" file.

6 - Copy VMwareTools-9.2.4-1398046.tar.gz to "vmware-tools-patches" folder.

7 - On "vmware-tools-patches" folder, run: ./untar-and-patch-and-compile.sh

This procedure worked for me. I didn't even need to reboot the virtual machine. All shared folders are working now.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
pepelegalbr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok! After a couple of hours searching on Internet I have found someone that has the solution (https://github.com/rasa/vmware-tools-patches).

1 - Run: apt-get install dkms linux-headers-$(uname -r) build-essential psmisc

2 - Run: git clone https://github.com/rasa/vmware-tools-patches.git

3 - Run: cd vmware-tools-patches/patches

4 - Remove every folder except "vmhgfs".

5 - Get the last version of VMwareTools clicking on VMWare Bar > VM > Install/Reinstall VMWare Tools. It will open a virtual CD containing the "tar" file.

6 - Copy VMwareTools-9.2.4-1398046.tar.gz to "vmware-tools-patches" folder.

7 - On "vmware-tools-patches" folder, run: ./untar-and-patch-and-compile.sh

This procedure worked for me. I didn't even need to reboot the virtual machine. All shared folders are working now.

0 Kudos
STRSOFTWARE
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Trying to get this shared folder working with latest version of Kali but no luck.  I tried this fix above and when I try and run the script ./untar-all-and-patch.sh  it gives me an error

No such file or directory

I have copied the latetest VMwareTools tar file into the vmware-tools-patches folder as described. 

0 Kudos
pepelegalbr
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You're wright!

When Kali was upgrade to kernel 3.14 this fix had stop working.

I've changed from vmware-tools to open-vm-tools, still not working.

It's a shame to we that bought a license of vmware workstation 9 to be unable to use shared folders - HGFS (Host-Guest File System).

The only solution for now is to upgrade to vmware workstation 10. This is bad for us, good for vmware.

Of course, another solution is to change your machine to VirtualBox. Shared folders are working fine.

0 Kudos