VMware Communities
jb0nez
Contributor
Contributor

HELP my keyboard doesn't work in my virtual machine!

I have a pretty straightfoward setup. Thinkpad T430 running XP SP 3. Used standalone converter to convert to VM and also resized it down onto a USB hard drive. When given the choice of export formats I chose VMware player 5.0.

Installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. Installed VMware Player 5.0. Opened saved VM. Keyboard AND mouse (trackpad) don't work in guest. Work fine in OS, I click in guest, and nothing, stuck at XP login screen.

Ok so I then installed VMware Workstation 9.0 (since updated to 9.0.2). Opened same VM. This time mouse works fine. No keyboard. I checked in Device Manager, It's "Standard PS/2 Keyboard". Can't install tools because I can't log in. I even setup a bluetooth keyboard, then clicked the setting to pass Bluetooth keyboards over. I can click in the guest, try to type on the Bluetooth keyboard, and nothing happens. But I can hit ctrl-alt, get focus back, and alt-tab away so I know my keyboard is working.

This is absurdly simple compared to what VMWare products are capable of. What is going on? I have googled endlessly and found NOTHING of assistance other than checking my device manager on the host.

Please someone help me, this is driving me insane. I've spent hours on what should be a straightforward operation. And I need to get back into that XP Machine!

\Edit: I want to add that when I select the boot into BIOS option I do have keyboard usage. It's something in the virtual machine for XP. But I don't know how to fix it and re-building is not possible.

33 Replies
KenMadsen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just went through the same after P2V with vCenter Standalone 5.5 for my Lenovo T410 laptop W7x64 system.  There were lots of posts in different threads, but many suffered the chicken-egg dilemma.  You can't uninstall drivers, if you can't log in to the system.

I found out the IP address of the guest system (old laptop still running) with arp -a and the MAC address listed in the VM settings.  Then I used Remote Desktop to get into the system, where I uninstalled all sorts of hardware related Intel and Lenovo stuff.  Then the keyboard (ctrl-alt-Insert) works and I can log in directly to the guest.

0 Kudos
Sticky13
Contributor
Contributor

WORKAROUND-  Been down this exact road 6 months ago on a different install and here I am again with the same error on a different Windows 7x64 machine.  Nobody has a solid answer to this!?  There is no mouse or keyboard control available to the VM after P2Ving.  You can't log in with username password as you can't type which is required to install the VM tools so you are stuck.  I turned off the VM, removed any and all USB devices, and then added a USB controller.  Turned it back on and now I have mouse control.  Still no keyboard.  No option to add a keyboard either?!  So now back at the logon screen I clicked on the accessibility logo on the bottom left and activated the onscreen keyboard.  With the onscreen keyboard you can use your active mouse to peck out your typing.  I typed my username and password and I am into the OS!  If you look in your hardware manager, you will probably see both your mouse and keyboard have been listed as PS2 compatible with a warning they have no driver. Now that you are in, you can install the VM tools and reboot but even after that, you can see the Device manager updates some of the drivers while installing VM Tools but the two PS/2 mouse and keyboard are still Warning yellow.  So, in raising the white flag to move ahead, once logged in using the virtual keyboard, I setup the approprite network connections for the VM and then RDP'd into it.  Guess what?  Typing works!?!?!  Just doesnt work through either VM Workstation nor VSphere client!?! Let me know if this worked for you or if you find a better solution.  Have a fantabulous day.

0 Kudos
MarkP63
Contributor
Contributor

I have this problem and what astounds me is the stuff that is being spouted that simply does not fix it. I have tried all sorts of permutations and after an upgrade to v11, it started to work. Having not directly accessed the console of the VMs I came to build a new one and the keyboard does not work. I am now about 7 weeks after the update to v11 with a valid licences. This I believed to be attributed to a licensing issue as one of the side effects was that only the first VM that was powered on would respond. The issue has now returned and I can confirm that it does not work unless it is the first VM to be turned on.

This should be an easy "feature" to reproduce and if it cannot then the differences need locating. If it is licensing then there must be a fundamental issue. I can understand on evaluations or as a way of inconveniencing a non-genuine product this may occur however my license is direct from VMware.

0 Kudos
MarkP63
Contributor
Contributor

Having reapplied the license key and then rebooted the host it all works. Note that the reboot has previously not corrected the problem. Just reapplying the licensing key did not fix it and a reboot did not fix it. The two combined have. This may be a red herring but it is all I have at the moment. None of the other suggestions worked.

Time will tell.

0 Kudos
seaders
Contributor
Contributor

Have just run into the same problem myself, running Win8 from a MacBook Pro, no keyboard until I shutdown and brought USB version down to 1.1.

0 Kudos
AG7784
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

On mu HP Probook 6570b I had exactly the same issue. Removing the Synaptics Device software from the software pane, gave my keyboard back.

Thanks so much for this answer.

Nino Driehuis

CaliDev
Contributor
Contributor

YOU ARE MY HERO, billyhollis (Answer #13). ! I tried EVERYTHING to get my keyboard working (including all steps in that useless KB page) and got nowhere until I read your post. Removing the Synaptics ClickPad Driver via Programs & Features WORKED!

For the record, this article is WORTHLESS: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&externalId=1008443

I have the latest VMWare Workstation (12) on Win and Fusion (8) on Mac. I had made a VM of my Windows 8.1 to preserve it for testing before upgrading to Windows 10. The keyboard didn't work on either Windows OR Mac VMWare. I had used VMWare Converter. I had used VMWare Fusion Migration agent. No VM allowed me keyboard access. Even worse - I couldn't even LOG IN because I had a password. FINALLY I was able to click the little circle button in the lower left of the login screen to open the virtual keyboard in Win 8.1, and use that to log in. From there I followed your advice, uninstalled Synaptics, and VOILA! Both VMs now have full keyboard support - on Fusion (Mac) and Workstation (Win). THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!

jdeavers_Insigh
Contributor
Contributor

1) Open regedit.

Expand the folders found on the left hand side exactly as written:

For the Keyboard:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

For the Mouse:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96F-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

The string of numbers is very similar to other folders listed, so you really need to make sure you find the right ones.

2) To fix the keyboard, click directly on the 4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 folder (don't expand it). Once you click the folder, you'll see registry value files appear on the right hand side (the file icons look like torn pages with a lower case "ab" written in red).

3) The file you're looking for is the last one in the group -- the one named  UpperFilters. Double-click on it, and a small box opens titled "Edit Multi-Screen"

4) Once the Edit Multi-Screen box opens, you want to delete any information in the Value data: field (if there is any), and type kbdclass  When finished, click the OK button.

5) Reboot VM and it will detect the keyboard Smiley Happy

burguetjf
Contributor
Contributor

It worked for me too !! Login in with Windows' Virtual Keyboard, de-installing Synaptics then rebooting did the trick: my Mac keyboard is now fully recognized.  Thanks a lot for sharing Smiley Happy !!

0 Kudos
Badimo
Contributor
Contributor

Using Windows 10 VM in the VMware Workstation 14, with the Apple usb keyboard. Same problem - VM sees keyboard as standard ps/2 keyboard, but with error.

Uninstalling Synaptic software did the trick - keyboard now works fine.

0 Kudos
dereksmiley
Contributor
Contributor

jdeavers_Insight_8032​ your solution worked for me.

VMware Workstation 14.0.0 build-6661328

Guest OS: Windows 10 Enterprise, version 1709, build 16299.64

Considerations: This was not a P2V; it was installed as a new guest OS on an ESXi v6.5U1 host and then converted it to an OVF template, I then then imported it into VMware Workstation 14.

Mouse was working fine, keyboard was not... tried changing compatibility versions, uninstalling VMwaretools, reinstalling, etc etc etc.

The registry edit you provided fixed the issue for me, finally.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

I changed the UpperFilters Multi-String value to only have the "kbdclass" line item and then rebooted the VM.

0 Kudos
bhalejos
Contributor
Contributor

Removing the Synaptics (even though mine came from Dell but it's Synaptics OEM) also did the trick for me.

BTW, in order to be able to log in WITHOUT a keyboard, I used the "on-screen keyboard"!

0 Kudos
mahmoudgoudah
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. that works perfectly to me. i was suffering for long hours trying to fix this. god bless you.

0 Kudos
ahliat
Contributor
Contributor

thank you, removing the Synaptics Device software on the VM did the trick.

😉

0 Kudos