VMware Communities
Freeyful
Contributor
Contributor

HELP! Microphone doesn't work on VMware (Mac OS)

Hi, I would be incredibly grateful if anyone could help me resolve this issue that I'm having with my Mac OS Virtual Machine (WORKSTATION) that I'm running on a PC. I recently purchased a USB mic which should be simply plug-in-play, and on my PC it works flawlessly. However, in my virtual machine, not so much. I make sure to have the device disconnected from my host machine and connected to my VM, and in system preferences, I can clearly see that the mic is recognized as a sound-input device, with an audio barometer moving up and down when I speak into the mic; which is a good sign. But even though the device is connected, when I record through my Virtual Machine, very small fragments of my voice get picked up. I tried using Siri as well, and she doesn't hear me. I have no gain control on my mic, and the volume is at maximum inside the machine, so it's not a loudness issue, the mic works but it's VERY choppy and fragmented. I have no idea what to do, I've updated the VM, tried to edit the VMX file, repair the hard drive, etc. It seems to be a sound problem related to VMware.

I provided a screenshot for you guys to get a better idea, see how the soundwaves are scattered on this voice memos recording.

Labels (6)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
King_SHA
Contributor
Contributor

ince you are running Fusion on Catalina host, my guess is it should related with Security & Privacy Settings. So, can you open System Preferences==>Security & Privacy==>Privacy==>Microphone and see if Fusion is listed. (Expected result is you can see Fusion exists in the list)

Also, when first time you open Voice application in Windows 10 guest, you should be able to see the prompt window like this:

King_SHA_0-1660970772626.png

You need to click OK button to allow Fusion to access the microphone device.

Regards,

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Since it is a violation of the Apple EULA to run MacOS on non-Apple hardware such as a PC running Workstation Player, you cannot discuss this here in the Communities and I have reported your post.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos