VMware Communities
highwaymike
Contributor
Contributor

HAL_INITIALIZATION_FAILED VMware Workstation Pro hosted on Server 2019 w/ Windows 10 guests

While running guest Win 7 on host Win 10 using Player, never had an issue. While running guest Win 10 on Host Server 2019 I am regularly seeing HAL_INITIALIZATION_FAILED issues on the guests overnight, 2-3 times a week, requires restarting VMs in the morning. It doesn’t always happen to all VMs, sometimes only 1 or 2, while other VMS might not be affected. All VMs are set up the same (clones). Sleep is disabled on guests. 

Any pointers? 

TIA

2 Replies
RaSystemlord
Expert
Expert

Don't know, but what makes you think it is VMware related?

Does TEMP/TMP logging tell you anything? What does it say in Event Viewer? What Windows 10 version you have (like 2004 or something)? If you have some security software (virus scanners, perhaps others with fire walling, or others), can they create this kind of situation (I mean, they surely can, but do they?) Do you have latest Windows Updates ... well, what can I say, they do introduce also new bugs in new Updates, so it's a mess, but seriously outdated Updates can cause problems with very new application versions. Any bad application can cause any other application to fail - but, probably not cause a HAL-related problem, I think ... but you didn't say what kind of applications you have.

It makes sense to have this same Windows error on multiple VMs since they are (near) clones.

EDIT: Actually, this is on a wrong discussion thread, but I'm sure a Moderator wants to move this under Pro.

0 Kudos
the4amfriend
Contributor
Contributor

We have the same problem on Windows server 2016 and found out that 2012 had similar problems too - the error seems to be one of compatability where we've been asked to be on the latest versions but we already are and it doesn't seem to be helping. Did you find a fix for this OP?

0 Kudos