VMware Communities
just2Me
Contributor
Contributor

Gust OS XP unable to connect to the Internet

I have installed the VMware Workstation 6.5 on Windows 7 beta. The guest OS is Windows XP 32bit. I'm very new to virtualization. My guest OS is unable to access the Internet. The DHCP tab has VMnet1 with Subnet 192.168.29.0 Netmask 255.255.255.0 and VMnet8 with Subnet 192.168.15.0 Netmask 255.255.255.0 and the Service status started. The NAT tab VMnet host is set to use VMnet1 and Gateway IP address is grayed out with 192.168.129.2 and Service status started too.

Any help in getting this to work is much appreciated.

0 Kudos
39 Replies
Mokk
Contributor
Contributor

Hi ,

First you have to check how is configured your VM's network adapters .

is it in bridged mode? in nat mode? in host-only ?

0 Kudos
mikelane
Expert
Expert

Does Windows7 have an exception for Workstation in the firewall?

0 Kudos
just2Me
Contributor
Contributor

Yes. Under Windows 7 Firewall, the VMware Authd is set to allow private and public. And I don't think it matters because I did try turned the firewall off and still unable to access the Internet.

0 Kudos
just2Me
Contributor
Contributor

What mode and setting should I be using? I thought I was using NAT but it does not work.

0 Kudos
just2Me
Contributor
Contributor

I did look at the pdf manual but there is very little about setting up NAT. I've checked the guest network connection status and it says connected. I don't know where else to check.

0 Kudos
just2Me
Contributor
Contributor

Here's what I've found so far. From the guest OS, I can ping the VMnet8 virtual adapter card but not VMnet1. From the guest OS, I can't ping the host OS IP address either.

0 Kudos
just2Me
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, here's another weird thing. From the Guest OS, I can ping google.com or any Internet site but when viewing through the IE browser, it does not display the site. Any suggestion?

0 Kudos
mikelane
Expert
Expert

I had a similar issue with XP after installing a particular update - everything else could connect to the internet except IE.

I used system restore to roll the system back and got IE working again ... and eventually I updated to SP3 and everything worked fine.

What SP do you have installed?

0 Kudos
just2Me
Contributor
Contributor

I have SP3 installed. It's intergrated into the CD. Since I installed the guest OS XP, I have never been able to browse the Internet.

0 Kudos
Mokk
Contributor
Contributor

Just try to put your network adapter in bridge mode

0 Kudos
just2Me
Contributor
Contributor

I changed my network adapter to Bridge and it's not working either. It's even unable to ping any Internet site.

0 Kudos
Mokk
Contributor
Contributor

Do you have a DHCP on your network ? Your Windows 7 have an IP adress? is it pingable by any other computer? have you change your VMNET1 parameters?

0 Kudos
just2Me
Contributor
Contributor

Yes. My DSL router has a built-in DHCP server. No, I have not change the parameter on my VMnet1; however, in the Virtual Network Editor/NAT tab, I chose VMnet8 as my VMnet host. Yes, other computer on the same network can ping the host OS.

0 Kudos
just2Me
Contributor
Contributor

Right now the guest OS IP address is: 192.168.15.128 and the host IP address is 192.168.1.64. How do I get the guest OS to be on the same subnet mask? Is this the problem?

0 Kudos
just2Me
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, I gave up! I was able to change so my guest OS and host OS are on the same subnet mask but that still doesn't work either. I never have this problem with Microsoft Virtual PC. I guess it's time to give Microsoft Virtual PC a try. This is frustrating.

Thanks for those who tried to help.

0 Kudos
mikelane
Expert
Expert

If you can ping the internet from the virtual machine and it's just IE that isn't working then it does not sound like VMWare Workstation is the issue - it's something with the actual configuration of the VM. Do other browsers work on the VM?

Perhaps there is an issue with the silpstreamed SP3 disk that you are using?

0 Kudos
just2Me
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, here's the problem I have. Since the guest OS cannot access the Internet, I can't download another browser to try. The guest OS is unable to recognized any USB drive I connect to the host OS. I tried to map a network drive and it's unable to map either. It's able to ping the network server but unable to map the drive.

0 Kudos
just2Me
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, I just confirmed that it's not IE or my guest OS. I managed to install Firefox 3.08 and it's unable to access the Internet either.

0 Kudos
Mokk
Contributor
Contributor

On your host machine, can you check in your network setting if there are VMware network adapter that are connected?

and you should put the Virtual Machine in VMNET 1 because by default i remember that the only VMNETwhich communicate with outside(internet)

0 Kudos