VMware Communities
happyfirst
Contributor
Contributor

Guests crashing when using remote desktop to host

It's now happening on two different hosts. I remote desktop into the host (win 10), I can use the guest (win 10), but if I minimize my remote desktop window, some time later, when I go back into the host, the guest vm is crashed and one core is pegged 100%.

It's started happening on both hosts in the last few weeks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
NickSchaf
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue here.  Host OS: Windows 10 Enterprise.  Guest OS: Ubuntu 18.04.  VMware Workstation: 14.1.2 build-8497320.

Every time I Remote Desktop to the host, the VM crashes and Ubuntu reboots, notifying of a "System Problem Detected" once I log in again.  Within the Remote Desktop session I can continue using the guest as normal.

The problem occurs again if I lose my RDP session and need to re-establish it.  Do not know if it occurs when switching back to an interactive session after using RDP.

0 Kudos
milan_2020
Contributor
Contributor

Dear,

I have the same issue too. Host OS: Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 64bit.  Guest OS: Oracle Enterprise Linux 7.6;  VMware® Workstation 15 Pro, Version 15.5.1 build-15018445.

Most of time when I Remote Desktop to the host, the VM crashes and Linux reboots. I can see already booting Linux guest. Within the Remote Desktop session I can continue using the guest as normal. I can't find any log message (notice) about this crash. Just crash and next booting. I have two such Linux guests.

Using windows guests (Windows 7, Windows server 2003) it doesn't seem to happen.

Have you ever found out solution?

Thank you

0 Kudos