VMware Communities
CyberBeach
Contributor
Contributor

Guest with static IP: how to give access to internet router

VMware Workstation 7

I have a Windows 2003 Server with IP addresses assigned (and VMWare Tools installed). This was formerly a dedicated virtual server hosted in a data center that I virtualized using vmware-converter and downloaded to my VMWare Workstation physical machine. It has an IP range different from my office's range.

I want to let it keep it's assigned IP addresses (ie no DHCP) yet allow it to connect to the internet via my office router. If I had a virtual router, I would have the inside gateway and address range be in the range of the server's assigned IP, and the outside IP address be on the my local office network served by the office router.

Can I do this without setting up a VM just to use as a router, and if so, how?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Did I get you right that the guest should keep an IP address which is not used in your network (there were the Internet guest is requested)?

Then you can use a "host-only" virtual NIC, change the network IP address to what th eguest requires, setup the VMnet1 host adapter accordingly, install a routing engine on the host and you're done.

The other way is to use NAT, then the host acts like a router or better like a proxy. All packets from the guest seem to come from the host.

But I'm not sure if you can use the required IP address in the VMnet8 virtual switch/network.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
CyberBeach
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, that's correct. The guest is a retired webserver which is pre-configured for a public IP of 69.b.c.98 through 69.b.c.126. My office nework is a 10.0.0.0 network. I've moved the sites being hosted on the retired server elsewhere. I virtualized the webserver in order to archive it. I might need to check on how something was configured on the retired webserver. It doesn't need to actually work as a public webserver, but I might want to view a site on it.

Now that I think of it, maybe I'm asking too much and I should re-assign the static ips into the 10. range, because that would be the only way to get the 16 sites on different static ips all accessible, and then reserve the 10. range on the office router.

The problem there is that my workstation host is portable, and when I take it home, it's on a 192. network (and at Starbucks... etc.).

I really need a two-sided network adapter that works like a router (aka, a router), so the guest can have 20 IP's in its old range, 69..., but all traffic gets routed to my office or home gateway.

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Keeping this 69 address for the guest might not work with NAT as this might leaqd to problems if no C class mask (255.255.255.0) is used.

So you need access to the websites on the guest from the host?

Try to configure a custom network (VMnet2 for example). Set the IP range to the desired one and add a host virtual adapter. That should do it. In this case you even do not need a router.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos