VMware Communities
lcarreon
Contributor
Contributor

Guest operating system query

Hi All,

Which version of VMware Workstation supports the following operating systems with properly working VMware Tools?

• Windows 2008 R2 (64-bit)
  • Fedora 16 (32-bit and 64-bit) - Uses Linux kernel 3.1
  • Solaris 10 U10 (8/11) (32-bit and 64-bit)
  • Solaris 11 2011.11 (32-bit and 64-bit)

I'm currently on VMware Workstation 7.1.4 (64-bit) and I'm trying to determine which version to upgrade to which supports the O/S's that I want to use as guest.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kind regards,

Leo

0 Kudos
3 Replies
nava_thulasi39

Hi,

Always try with latest Workstation, So it supports the very latest OS as a Guest OS.

And probably added features when compared to previous version.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

I'd suggest you take a look at the HCL (http://www.vmware.com/go/hcl) to find out which guests are supported on the different VMware products/versions.

André

lcarreon
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have upgraded to VMware Workstation 8.0.1 but it still doesn't have support for "Other Linux 3.1.x kernel" or "Other Linux 3.1.x kernel 64-bit" guest operating systems when creating a new virtual machine.  I suspect that this also means that there will be no working VMware Tools for these kernels.

Is my assumption right?  If my assumption is right, is there a patch available to support a Linux 3.1 guest operating systems.

I also discovered that this version of VMware Workstation does not have support for Solaris 11 guest operating system.  Does anyone know when support for this version of Solaris will be provided?

Kind regards,

Leo

0 Kudos