VMware Communities
lamakas
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Guest operating system 'fedora' is not supported.

I'm trying install fedora os but i get this error:

"Guest operating system 'fedora' is not supported.

Please select a guest operating system from the General page on the Options tab of Virtual Machine Settings."

I tryed to but failed.

Plz help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Entegy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Ah yes, do not use Easy Install. Use the "I will install later" option then follow the instructions I posted in my previous post.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Entegy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

What version of Fedora are you trying to install? Fedora doesn't seem to be an officially supported OS by VMware, but there's really only one extra step to get it running fine.

When creating the virtual machine choose "Other Linux 2.6.X kernel" or "Other Linux 2.6.X kernel 64-bit" as the OS type depending on your version.

Once Fedora is installed, open a Terminal and login as root (type "su", press Enter then type the root password you set during setup) and use the following command: yum install kernel-devel kernel-headers gcc mkinitrd

Once that command finishes, you may install VMware Tools as normal. If you don't know how to do this, there should be a guide in the help files.

lamakas
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm installing this one: Fedora-13-i386-DVD.iso

I tryed with 12 also..

Then i start the installation it automaticly detects the OS "fedora", and i cant choose "Other Linux ........" .

I get error at start of installation. Check SS.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

do not use"easy install" then - use "I will install later ..." instead

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

You also find me in the support crew of PHD Virtual Backup

Entegy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Ah yes, do not use Easy Install. Use the "I will install later" option then follow the instructions I posted in my previous post.

0 Kudos
lamakas
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks! it's working.

0 Kudos