VMware Communities
calaver4
Contributor
Contributor

Guest Windows 10 2004 video issues

Hi,

after upgrading a guest VM to Windows 10 2004 I'm experiencing video issue, mainly flickering and windows refresh.

I've to reinstalled VMware Tools but the issue was not fixed.

I've found a workaround disabling 3D acceleration in the display options of this guest.

My VMware Workstation version is 15.5.6 build-16341506.

Any ideas on how to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
6 Replies
yanw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi, Thanks for your feedback. What's the video? online video or certain type of local video file such as mp4? And what's your host system?

0 Kudos
whb3
Contributor
Contributor

I'm experiencing an issue which may be similar. I have VMware Workstation Pro 15.5.6 build-16341506. Until I updated my guest to Windows 10 2004, the guest was working properly. Since I updated, I cannot shut down the guest from the guest's Start menu. Shutting it down from the Workstation menu (VM | Power | Shut Down Guest) also works. When I click on the guest's Windows symbol in the lower left corner, the menu comes up with a transparent background; only the icons for the applications show. Clicking on the power symbol doesn't bring up anything.

0 Kudos
DavidC27
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the exact same issue.  Windows 10 Home guest, Workstation Pro 15.5.2 build-15785246.  Updated VMware tools did not resolve the problem.  I have troubleshot it down to the 2004 update (fortunately I have snapshots I could roll back to).  I've updated two other Windows 10 Edu guests without any issues.  I have one other Windows 10 Home physical build that did not have any issues with the update.

UPDATE: Issue resolved.  I had to change the hardware compatibility to Workstation 15.x from Workstation 11.x.  I found the answer here: https://www.reddit.com/r/vmware/comments/grrhh0/graphical_issues_with_windows_10_2004_within/

RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

David - update your Workstation to 15.5.6+ to work with Windows 10 v2004.

0 Kudos
DavidC27
Contributor
Contributor

RDPetruska - thanks for the tip, I updated Workstation Pro and VMware tools on the guest but still no luck.  Still having video issues after upgrading to version 2004 on Win10 Home.  Note, I have two other VM's with Win10 Pro and Edu, those upgraded to version 2004 without any issues.

0 Kudos
whb3
Contributor
Contributor

It's not really a solution, but I reverted to a snapshot from April 2020 (Windows 10 1903) and things are much better now. Fortunately, I don't think there were any files created since the snapshot that I really need.

0 Kudos