VMware Communities
jakemoroni
Contributor
Contributor

Guest Vulkan support

Hello,

Does Workstation 16.2.2 support Vulkan in the guest OS?

I see that it supports DirectX 11 in the guest now by using a Vulkan renderer on the host (it works well for me too), but I’m wondering if Vulkan is supported in the guest as well.

On the surface, it seems like Vulkan guest support should be even easier to implement since it would be more of a straight pass through.

The reason I ask is because there are some DirectX 12 programs that I would like to run in my guest, and VMWare Workstation doesn’t support DirectX 12 (yet?).

However, if it supports Vulkan, then I can use vkd3d in the guest. This library basically implements DirectX 12 on top of Vulkan and is mainly used within Wine/Proton. There is also another library called DXVK that does the same thing for DirectX 9/10/11, but it’s not as necessary since those APIs are already supported  

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
333fps
Contributor
Contributor

Apparently Vulkan is supported from 16.x if the guest graphics adapter is based on nVidia Turing architecture or latest (ie RTX....).

0 Kudos
stevecs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

just for other's/future reference.  Vulkan is *NOT* supported in the guest as of 16.2.5 or from what I can see under 17.0.    It appears to only support D3D/DX for the guest and recodes that into vulkan to the HOST.  (the guest does not see any vulkan capable hardware).

Really sucks and to the OP's point I don't see the issue here as it would be a pass-through or require minimal work until taking D3D and converting it TO vulkan. 

0 Kudos