VMware Communities
jorilla
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Guest VM's cannot copy files from a network share located on the Host

I get the error "Cannot copy xyz123: cannot read from the source file or disk." when attempting to copy a file from a folder that is shared.

• The folder that is shared is located on the machine called VM-SERVER, which runs Workstation 6.0.4. The folder is shared with Everyone having Full Control. The security settings say that the DOMAIN\Domain Users also have Full Control.

• Any user who logs into any VM Guest on VM-SERVER, which is the host for all the VM's in the organization, cannot access the file for copying, though the directory listings are there (though slow to come up). If the same user logs in to any other computer on the network, that is any non-VM-guest computer, then he can access the files on the share on VM-SERVER with no problem.

• VM' Guest's are all configured with Bridged networking as they do serve other users on the network. I did disable the VMWare adapters. I did insert the DisableDos key with the Value 1 as directed by the FAQ, I did reboot the VM Host OS and the VM Guests.

• VM-SERVER runs Windows Server 2003 R2 x64. It has 2 1TB SATA drives, and the share in question is located physically on the 😧 drive.

• The VM Guest OS's are XP Sp3, Vista Business Sp1, Windows Server 2003 R2 x32.

• None of these VM Guest's are capable of accessing the contents of the files on the share on VM-SERVER.

• All of the VM Guests are capable of accessing shares located on another server, the PDC of the network, which runs Windows Server 2003 R2 x32.

Accordingly I am concerned as the concept of using VM's for critical business was my decision and so far with the exception of this scenario (and a USB printing issue recently resolved) it has gone well. Unfortunately even one snafu can halt production.

Note that I have read the FAQ and tried those suggestions that seemed to apply. I have also searched the forums and did not see a specific question/answer. If there is an answer out there and you are reading this please point me to it, orperhaps you have another suggestion? I am open to all theories and possible solutions.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

The adapter is a RealTek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC. Driver version 5.699.717.2008

Perhaps see if a newer NIC driver helps? I see that 5.707 (2008/11/24) appears to be available:

http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=6&PFid=6&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID...

====

Is there anything showing in the Host's Event Logs? I know that before I made that DisableDOS registry change on my server I saw a lot of errors in the Event log.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

On the host's Network Adapter try temporarily disabling any "Large Send Offload" features to see if that helps.

If it does help, I'd be curious to hear what model Network Adapter you have and what version of Driver is installed for it.

0 Kudos
jorilla
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Network adapter has no such settings. I should say that this computer is not a server class machine. It is a quad-core box with 6GB ram and 2 large SATA drives. Bought it at Best Buy.

The adapter is a RealTek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC. Driver version 5.699.717.2008

The fact that the guests can access shared folders/files on other physical boxes would imply that something along the lines of a perceived DOS attack is causing disconnection. And, the fact that other physical boxes can access the share on the host also seems to point at networking speed/DOS. But since I did insert the DisableDos value into the registry this should be moot. So, any other ideas?

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Are there any "Task Offload" or other "offload" parameters available on the card?

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Perhaps see if a newer NIC driver helps? I see that 5.707 (2008/11/24) appears to be available:

http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=6&PFid=6&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID...

====

Is there anything showing in the Host's Event Logs? I know that before I made that DisableDOS registry change on my server I saw a lot of errors in the Event log.

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Another thing that you could check is to make sure that TCP Chimney and other features of the Windows Scalable Networking pack are disabled in Windows as well. However, a Windows Update patch released in March ( KB948496 ) automatically disabled it, so if you have patched your server since Match it shouldn't be an issue.

More info:

http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2008/03/12/448421.aspx

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948496

0 Kudos
jorilla
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Even though the operating system warned me that it did not like the driver it installed fine and the problem went away. I did install the driver that was available at the time and it just di dnot occur to me that anyone would have updated it that quickly. Very pleased and thanks for the gentle reminder of what I should have obviously checked first. Good suggestion.

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Even though the operating system warned me that it did not like the driver it installed fine and the problem went away.

Glad to hear that things are now working!

0 Kudos