VMware Communities
MrRic
Contributor
Contributor

Guest Rightside Taskbar takes half screen on VM Window resize.

Anyone know how to complain to VMware that there is a problem with Workstation Pro 12/14 and that they need to fix it???

Here is the conditions:

• Host: Window 10 Pro (multiple versions, as I've been trying to solve this for many many months)

• VMware Workstation 12/14 Player  (again, multiple versions of each)

• Guest: Windows 7 Pro ; Taskbar on Right side (with wide screens, I'm always needing more height that width).

Here is what happens:

• Change the size of the VM window and ...

• sometimes the guest taskbar jumps to half the window size (thus resizing the guest program windows) and then goes back to the size it's supposed to be.

• sometimes the guest taskbar jumps to half the window size (thus resizing the guest program windows) and stays taking up the right half of the screen.

• sometimes the guest taskbar stays as it is supposed to be and no guest window gets resized or moved.

• Does not matter at all if the guest taskbar is locked or unlocked.

• Does not matter at all if using Workstation Pro or Workstation Player Pro.

• I've never ever had Windows 8 of any flavor.  Host went from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 Pro.

There is no rhyme or reason that I can see.  No pattern.  Just random as to whether or not the taskbar messes up.

Normal guest taskbar:                                                                 . Messed up guest taskbar (went to half then back):

VM Workstation 14 Player - Guest Taskbar - normal.jpg     VM Workstation 14 Player - Guest Taskbar - resized then normal.jpg    

I'm trying to get it to stay, but since I figured out how to do pictures, it does't want to stay.  However, that big gap between the guest program is half of the guest screen width and when it stays it fills that whole area and looks like this:

VM Workstation 14 Player - Guest Taskbar - resized to half.jpg

I've multiple VMs with Win 7 guest OS and many of them do it.  This means that the guest software is not the culprit.  The common program in the guest have been there for many years (some since I was using VMware Worstation 7 and it's eqivalent player).

I have searched for months and can't find anyone describing the same thing.  I've searched the registry endlessly to find something that keeps track of the taskbar and it's set "supposed to be" locked size.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

I suggest try setting the Taskbar button of the Windows 7 VM to "Always combine and hide labels"; this is done from the "Taskbar settings".

From the screenshots, it looks like it might be "Never combine" or "Combine when taskbar is full" as one of the screenshots show a partial window title with ellipsis next to the application icon in the taskbar (Fa...)

You may want to observe as well the state of the "FactoryTalk View Studio - View Machine Edition" software. There is a different toolbar at the top when the taskbar occupies half the screen from when it is not. Perhaps when a file is open or not in the software makes the difference. The application title does have a very long name even without any of its file type open.

0 Kudos