VMware Communities
paaland
Contributor
Contributor

Guest OS "freeze" after upgrade to VMWare workstation 11.

Been running a VM on workstation 10 for over a year with few issues. Just purchased and upgraded to workstation 11 and now my guest OS is experiencing frequent freezes. Everything just seems to freeze except for the mouse cursor. If I click on for example a window nothing happens. Then after perhaps 5 seconds it "unfreezes" and all the clicks I did while it was frozen happens. I can swap to the host while this is happening the the host is not frozen, just the guest os.

Host:

Lenovo w530

32 GB ram

2 x 512 GB SSD

Intel i7-3820QM (2.7 GHz, 4 core)

Nvidia Quatro K2000 + Intel HD4000
  Windows 8.1 Professional (x64)

VMWare Workstation 11.0.0

Guest:

16 GB ram

120 GB disk

4 vcore

Windows 8.1 Professional (x64)
  VM hardware rev 11
  Up-to-date vmware tools

Can't say I've done anything to the VM expect updating workstation ,vmware tools and the hardware revision from 10 to 11. I use this VM several days a week and the "freezing" started after the upgrade to vmware workstation 11.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Erik_Meyer
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem after upgrading to VMware Workstation 11. I'm using VW11 to test OS-Deployment with SCCM 2012 R2. Have 2 servers and 4 clients. All worked just fine for years with VW8, 9 and 10 but now VW11 freezes every time I roll up a client. I can do nothing in VW11 but all other apps Works fine om my computer.

Host:

Lenovo T430s

16GB RAM

2 x 256 GB SSD

Intel Core i7 3250 - 2.9 GHz

Intel HD Graphics 4000

NVIDIA NVS 5200M

Win 8.1 Enterprise x64

VMWare Workstation 11

Guest (typical client):

4 GB RAM

60 GB HDD

1 Processor 1 core

Win 7 Ent.

Looking forward for a solution 🙂

0 Kudos
paaland
Contributor
Contributor

I did a lot of stuff to resolve this.

1. I uninstalled the Intel HD 4000 driver as well as the Nvidia driver. Rebooted, then installed the latest from Lenovo's web site.

2. I did the same with my audio drivers, network drivers etc.

3. Finally I moved the VM from my system SSD to my secondary SSD (in case there was an issue with the drive).

Anyways the problem seems to have gone. Not sure what exactly which of them solved it.

0 Kudos