VMware Communities
ASEyeV2
Contributor
Contributor

Guest OS getting IP from unknown DHCP Server

First of all, hello!
My first post, i hope i am asking my quastion well heh.

So guys...
Im currently a IT student, at my school i am currently working with virtualization.
Before our teacher gave us the jobs that we had to do inside the VM we could choose either VMWare or VirtualBox

I used VMWare obviously, since i used it before it was was excelent!

im gonna write my problem but before i do that please keep in mind that i MUST be using NAT, im not allowed to use Bridge (believe me if i was allowed to use this i would not be here today)

But now my problem...
one of the Guest systems is getting a IP adress from a unknown DHCP Server. while i really thought it would get it from anohter guest server that is actually running the DHCP Server (Windows server 2012)

the IP that the guest client gets is the following
the default gateway is 192.168.30.1 (odd)

when i lookup in arp -a  i see that its linked with 00-AC-E5-14-E2-D0 (not the MAC of the guest itself, also not the MAC of the windows 2012 Server guest, and not my host either! so what the hell right?)

Some  information about the virutal network:

• Once again, using NAT
  • DHCP is DISABLED
  • Connect a host virtual adapter to this network is checked
  • Subnet is 192.168.140.0, mask 255.255.255.0
  • Gateway is 192.168.140.2
  • Auto-get DNS Servers from host

Some server information:

• IP is set as 192.168.140.100
    The Scope is set as 192.168.140.110 to 192.168.140.120
  • Default gateway is setup was 192.168.140.2
  • subnet 255.255.255.0
  • Primary DNS set to localhost
  • Secondary DNS set to 192.168.140.2
  • Internet access WORKS!

And here is my setup

2 Systems running

• Windows Server 2012
  • Windows 10

Windows Server 2012

• Running DHCP Server
  • Running DNS Server
  • Running ADDS
  • And some few extra features..

Windows 10

• Noting installed yet
  • NIC Configured as default so it would try to get a IP from a DHCP server

Things i already have done

• Disable the build-in DHCP Server within vmware and configure the Win Server with a correct static IP adress (works, internet access granted!)
  • Remove and re-add a new Network adapter
  • Upgrade from VMware 11 to 12
  • restarting Win 10 client, not working...
  • ipconfig /release and renew, also flushhing dns but i dont think i should be worry about DNS at this moment.

And some things that i noticed...

• While running the DHCP Server on Server 2012 i noitced that TWO Securenat-xxxx clients were connected to the Server. (not sure if this is OK or not)
  • Sometimes it DOES works. but very rare and it doesnt work long enough
  • i believe restarting my HOST system will temporally fix this issue rather then restarting VMware guest systems...
  • Shutting down the DHCP Server on Windows server 2012 still allowes the Windows 10 guest to grab a IP aderss from somewhere!

Please help im really lost i dont know where to look anymore

After reading this quastions and if your confused too, i can give you accsess to the server just to look for yourself.

Thank you all for your response already,

Best regards

EDIT:
The guest has still Internet access by the way! but not via the Server 2012 :smileyplain:

i can ping that 192.168.30.1 from the guest client

but Server 2012 cannot ping that IP.

Also, the Guest client can ping the server but the server cannot ping him back (10.0.0.1 - Remember that i did not configure this)
EDIT #2

i just had to forward some ports within VMWare workstation, after i was done i applied and closed the vmware and restarted my host system.
After i attempted to boot into my windows client there was a red cross in my NIC witch makes me believe that there is something wrong with VMWare

This also worked before!

6 Replies
digipeng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Welcome to the forum ASEyeV2,

A Few Questions I need to ask.

Workstation Player or Workstation pro?

what version of workstation?

is workstation installed under linux or windows?

We need to know these answers so we can assist better.

Digipeng

ASEyeV2
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there, currently i switched to another hypervisior, as soon as i finished setting up and letted it check be my teacher i will resetup and recheck it within vmware

Im sure it was VMWare workstation Pro, running on Windows 8
Im not sure about the build version im unable to check right now
Shall i recreate a new topic after i re-tested within vmware?
or shall we continue here?

Best regards,

0 Kudos
Virtually
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

By default, the NAT virtual network has DHCP enabled.

If you don't want that, then...

I recommend you create a new, custom NAT and don't modify the existing (you'll probably want to use it sometime in the future).

1. In Workstation, open your virtual network editor (from the menu)

2. Select an unused vmnet and edit it with NAT settings. When you do so, one of the many settings you will be prompted to configure is whether to configure DHCP (you'll of course want to decline). When completed, save your settings.

3. Go back to your Guest and open its Settings > Network.

4. Modify the vmnet it's connecting to, to your newly configured virtual network.

5. Open the Guest settings to your Windows Server providing DHCP and set to the same vmnet.

6. If your Windows Server providing DHCP isn't already running (You can change vmnets on the fly) start the machine. Depending on your Windows Server IP address and DHCP Server settings, you may need to do some modification to operate on the new vmnet's IP address and IP address range.

7. Start your Guest. If it's set as a DHCP client, it should pick up your Windows Server DHCP.

HTH.

0 Kudos
ASEyeV2
Contributor
Contributor

Hi sir,

I believe that i wrote exactly what u said (except for selecting the vmnets, but i even tried this)
obviously i disabled the DHCP but even then the client gets a IP adress from somewhere... (even with /release and /renew)

0 Kudos
digipeng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We will get to the bottom of this. Its best to keep things in the same thread. Please verify if you are using workstation pro or not.

DigiPeng

0 Kudos
Dionly
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the exact same problem and I'm using ws pro 12.1.0.

In my case the VM guests are a mixture of windows and Linux.  The host is Windows 10. The dhcp and dns server are running on the host. Initially the guests were getting their ip from the dhcp server and names were been correctly resolved. Two days later that was no longer the case. Even though no configuration change had happened.

• There's no longer Internet access.
  • The guests assigned IP addresses are outside the subnet's range and the range configured on dhcp server.
  • The guests assigned subnet mask are also not as configured in virtual network editor for nat.
  • There's no gateway nor dns assigned to guests.
  • Guests cannot ping the host by name nor ip addr.
  • Host cannot ping guests by name nor ip addr.
  • Diagnosing the guest connection says "Investigate router or broadband modem issues" with 3 action steps which are useless in this case.
  • Running ipconfig /all on guest gave the following ouput for the nat network adapter:
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:
       Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Network Connection
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-56-34-68-E9
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
       Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.85.248(Preferred)
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
        NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
    Even though the ip address appears to have been assigned by a dhcp server, there's no listing of the DHCP Server that assigned the address in the ipconfig output.
  • Configuring the interface with static address (not what i want) gave Internet access though the windows network connection adapter status says "No Internet access" and the adapters icon in system tray has a a warning icon.
  • Diagnosing the connection after manually configuring with static ip address shows "Troubleshooting couldn't identify the problem"

Reverting back to the snapshots taken when it was working has not made a difference.

However...

If i enable the virtual dhcp server (from virtual network editor)  all the guests will receive ip address from the virtual dhcp server.  But I don't want to use the local virtual dhcp server because:

1). I haven't found ways to configure it to assign hostname and fixed ip address to guest based on mac address.

2). I haven't found ways to configure it to update dns records with the issued ip addresses. Currently name resolution doesn't work.

0 Kudos