VMware Communities
WhiteKnight
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Guest OS doesn't recognize Nokia Lumia 900 (= Windows Phone 8) phone via USB

When connecting my Nokia Lumia 900 to my computer's USB port while Workstation has focus, the mobile phone is not getting recognized by the guest OS (Windows 7/64).

I don't want that spyware phone's drivers to be installed in my host OS, so I want to have the drivers installed to the (isolated) guest OS only.

What's necessary to have the guest OS recognize the mobile phone when it's getting connected to the USB port?

[VMware]: Workstation 17 Pro; --
[host]: Windows 10x64 host; --
[guests]: Windows 10x64, Windows 8x64.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
WhiteKnight
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

... anyone?

0 Kudos
OscarDavey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hello,

Have you done right USB configuration for your Guest OS?

In VM settings check USB2 compatibility.

Show all USB input devices.

And finally, did other USB devices working on this VM?

Hope will help.

Yours, Oscar

0 Kudos
WhiteKnight
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

sorry for the late reply. It took some time for me to check. Here're my answers to your questions:

• Have you done right USB configuration for your Guest OS?
    Yepp.
  • In VM settings check USB2 compatibility.
    Done.
  • Show all USB input devices.
    Done. What difference does it make?
  • And finally, did other USB devices working on this VM?
    Yepp. USB MSC devices all work properly.

Still no change: On first connection, the phone's drivers seem to be getting installed in the VM but shortly before finishing installation the Windows driver installer reads "device removed". From that moment on, no further connection is possible in the VM.

When connecting the phone to the computer while the VM is activated and in Fullscreen mode, the device is not being connected to the guest but instead to the host.

Any further suggestions?

Cheers,

Axel

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Axel
>I don't want that spyware phone's drivers to be installed in my host OS, so I want to have the drivers installed to the (isolated) guest OS only.
> What's necessary to have the guest OS recognize the mobile phone when it's getting connected to the USB port?

That sounds like WS 10 - my observations with the new USB implementation of WS 10 is that the requirement for USB support for device XY inside a VM now is:
the host must have drivers for the USB-device that is connected to the guest - the drivers must be working without errors inside the host OS.

So far I have not seen a single report that a device can be passed to the guest when the host has no drivers for it.
Even worse  - there are reports that even filesystems on USB-sticks or disks must be readable by the host before they can be used by the guests - (have seen this just 2 or 3 times so far so hopefully this are false positives.

The big question now is wether the new behaviour is by design or because the USB implementation of WS 10 is work in progress in a really early state.

If this is by design then I would call the change very unwise - defeats  the complete idea behind USB inside a VM
Lets hope that this is just unfinished work :smileycry:

I already started looking for a way to get a virtualhw 10 type VM with USB-features restricted to USB 2 like in previous versions.
No results so far

Ulli

0 Kudos
WhiteKnight
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi, Ulli,

that's awful. It's like you say: What sense does virtualization make if the host OS must be getting involved?

@VMware employees:

Would it help if I started a support request about that feature?

It's required to get exlusive VM access to particular USB devices in Windows 7/64 (both, host and guest OS).

It should be possible to exclude particular USB sockets from the host OS while a VM is running and to route these USB sockets to the VM directly, without further interpretation by the host OS. If no VM is running or if no running VM requires that exclusive access, the "vmware-usbarbitrator64.exe" service should route the specified USB sockets back to the host OS.

0 Kudos