VMware Communities
DigitalDude
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Guest OS access to PCI and PCIe hardware?

Hello, I've lurked and contributed to many forums; but, this is my first time on VMware Communities. From what I've seen, there's a lot of great support, from a lot of knowledgeable folks, here. So, I'm looking forward to participating.

I'm planning on installing VMware Workstation, have scoured the Knowledge Base and Communities, but am unable to find answers to some of my questions.

I run digital audio workstation (DAW) and related software, under WinXP, on an AMD 64 X2 4800+ machine, equipped with 2GB RAM. I also beta-test for a company that produces digital audio plugins. Up to this point, I've been running a multiboot system, with separate partitions of WinXP for digital audio work, beta-testing, and general use. Needless to say, it's a pain in the butt rebooting between partitions!

Under VMware Workstation, I'd like to run virtual versions of the WinXP DAW OS; WinXP DAW beta-test OS; WinXP general use OS; and a couple Linux distros. One of the biggest potential hurdles, however, is my DAW software uses a PCIe digital audio I/O card. My questions are:

Will a guest WinXP OS be able to access the PCIe digital I/O card through VMware?

If so, does the host OS have to support the PCIe card? (drivers are only available for Windows; however, I'd like to use Linux (Ubuntu) as the host OS)

Will a single, licensed version of WinXP run in multiple guest machines, or will each guest need it's own license to function?

If I can run multiple WinXP guests, under one license, and access my PCIe digital I/O card, I'd like to go with as lean, but still functional, host OS as

possible. In that regard, for a host under VMware Workstation, what are the advantages and disadvantages of:

Linux 32-bit

Linux 64-bit

Win2K

WinXP 32-bit

Vista 32-bit

Vista 64-bit

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration!

(Original message was edited by: DigitalDude, due to some formatting problems.)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Again, it depends on your MS license model, check with your local MS representative.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

A VM does not have access to the real hardware, only to the predefined virtualized one.

The exception being the CPU, USB and raw disks.

DigitalDude
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

"A VM does not have access to the real hardware, only to the predefined virtualized one.

The exception being the CPU, USB and raw disks."

Thanks for your swift reply, oreeh. From the sound of it, the idea of using VMware for DAW beta-testing is a "no-go". That's a real bummer. That bars a whole lot of potential audio/visual workstation users from using VMware. It'd sure be nice if the PCI bus could somehow be added to the list of direct access hardware. (While they're at it, VMware should add FireWire support. I also use a FireWire for digital I/O and I've read of other users with FireWire needs.)

One more question: The remaining option I have is to use my DAW WinXP OS as the host OS. Due to the difference in hardware perceived by the host WinXP and guest WinXP, I'm certain each will require a separate license. However, will a single, licensed copy of WinXP run in multiple VMs? (The reason I need multiple WinXP VMs, in the first place, is because of driver and software incompatibilities!)

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It'd sure be nice if the PCI bus could somehow be added to the list of direct access hardware.

This is not (yet) possible. Petr explained the reasons in an older post.

VMware should add FireWire support.

Firewire is available as an undocumented (and not working) config option in the VMX file.

This leads me to the assumption that Firewire will be supported in a future release.

However, will a single, licensed copy of WinXP run in multiple VMs?

Depending on the version (non OEM) it will work but would be a MS license violation.

DigitalDude
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for PCI and FireWire support. Adding support for them would add immensly to VMware's potential customer base.

I hear you about the MS licensing violation. Far be it for me to deprive BS of additional, well-deserved licensing funds. On the flip side, I've paid for the equivalent of thousands of licenses, through the thousands of frustrating hours, trouble-shooting Microsoft vulnerabilities and incompatibilities, over the past 25+ years. The only reason I need to run separate WinXP guests is to separate the operation of several incompatible, Windows-only applications and hardware. Alas, however, any licensing infractions will be short-lived. I'm in the process of migrating to OSX for digital audio and Linux for everything else!

Thanks again for your help!

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Again, it depends on your MS license model, check with your local MS representative.

0 Kudos
DigitalDude
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

"Again, it depends on your MS license model, check with your local MS representative."

My model is a single, end-user license, which allows me to multiboot under the single license. Not so, in the VM world, however. Unfortunately, the cost of Workstation and additional MS licenses, along with the lack of support for the PCIe digital audio card and FireWire, makes VMware a less-than-ideal solution. Hmmm... back to the drawing board.

Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos
zyx100
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

As I know PCI Express 2.0 specification will include such possibility. As I know it will be designed specifically for access to external device from virtual machines

0 Kudos
DigitalDude
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

"As I know PCI Express 2.0 specification will include such possibility. As I know it will be designed specifically for access to external device from virtual machines"

That'll be great. No doubt, it'll all come together in the future. I'll still evaluate Workstation. Could be the functionality, it provides right now, will be sufficient to justify the cost.

0 Kudos
mslinn
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This old post perfectly describes my interest ... to run a DAW on a VM, accessing resources on PCI Express. The card in question is a RME HDSPe RayDAT (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HDSPeRayDAT/), which is a PCI Express x1 card. I'd like to use VMware ESXi. I plan to use an Intel i7 930 CPU.

Does anyone know if the state of the art has advanced in the 3 years since the original posting?

Mike

0 Kudos