VMware Communities
Nomadtech
Contributor
Contributor

Guest ODBC cannot browse to mapped share on host

My host is a XP SP3 running Workstation 7.1 with a XP SP3 guest. I have a folder shared on the host that has a drive mapping on the guest (V:\), Everything sees this drive mapping except when I try to setup a Microsoft Access System DSN connection, the drive is not available. If I try to map the drive, I can browse down to it, but the end result is the mapping is still not being displayed (see attached)I can't understand why.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
5 Replies
WaffleSniffer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

I don't think it's anything you are doing wrong, I think it's just that the specific version of the Access OBDC connection (it seems rather old to me!) doesn't seem to support mapped drives in the dropdown list.  Have you tried using the Network... option next to the drive list?

Cheers

Waffle

0 Kudos
Nomadtech
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply,

Yes I have tried the network tab, it simply tries to create anoter MS drive mapping (like the one I already have) to another drive letter, Despite doing this, it still won't display that mapped drive after it's complete.

I have no issue doing this on my host which shows all my MS and Novell Drive mappings, and trying to figure out what's missing on my guest.

0 Kudos
WaffleSniffer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ahhh, sorry, I understand the problem better now... 😃

I've just tried this on a test system and I have no problem displaying network drives in the dropdown list... What version of the Access driver are you using?  The one that worked for me is 4.00.6305.00.

Cheers

Waffle

0 Kudos
Nomadtech
Contributor
Contributor

Mine is the same,

OBDCJT32.DLL 4/14/2008 (4.00.6305.00)

0 Kudos
WaffleSniffer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Just a thought, rather than using a mapped drive (which could cause problem for a system dsn anyway) have you tried just using a UNC path to the mdb file?

Might be a lot easier in the long run 😃

Cheers

Waffle

0 Kudos