VMware Communities
oaksu
Contributor
Contributor

Guest CPU 100% Usage vs Host 10-15% Utilization

My Guest VM is currently running extremely slow. It's constantly as CPU Utilization: 100%, Speed: 2.90 GHz and Memory Utilization: ~50%. At the same time, the host CPU is showing Utilization: 15%, Speed: ~1.5 GHz AND Memory Utilization ~48%.

How would I go about allowing the Guest VM to uitilise more of the host CPU? I've tried modifying the Number of processors and Number of cores per processor though I haven't been able to notice any difference.

**** HOST DETAILS:****

CPU

Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-8950HK CPU @ 2.90GHz

Base speed: 2.90 GHz

Sockets: 1

Cores: 6

Logical processors: 12

Virtualisation: Enabled

L1 cache: 384 KB

L2 cache: 1.5 MB

L3 cache: 12.0 MB

Utilisation 12%

Speed 1.65 GHz

Up time 0:05:42:52

Processes 233

Threads 2571

Handles 99367

**** VM DETAILS ****

CPU

Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-8950HK CPU @ 2.90GHz

Base speed: 2.90 GHz

Sockets: 2

Virtual processors: 2

Virtual machine: Yes

L1 cache: N/A

Utilization 100%

Speed 2.90 GHz

Up time 0:00:16:15

Processes 185

Threads 2390

Handles 85077

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TMWSales
Contributor
Contributor

The Best advice is to set the sockets to always 1. Unless you are running a server with multiple processors sockets. From There i would adjust the Virtual Processors to use as much as you feel comfortable using.  I have 12 Logical on mine and have 6 virtual ones assigned to the VM so I can also do some tasks on the host in the background when switching back and forth.

0 Kudos
hotvooboy
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in community.

What's the guest OS? could you please check what the process costs cpu resource?

you can get those information from windows task manager if you used windows OS .

In task manager you can add more columns via "View"->Select Columns -> put a checkbox at "Command Line" near the bottom.

Then a new column appears in your Task Manager and if you make the column wide enough at the end of the command line it shows you more details on what it is doing (that is it gives some hints)

0 Kudos