VMware Communities
Smart_Neuron
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Greetings. How would I simply accomplish the following two tasks?

Greetings!

I am using VMware Workstation 16.x on Windows 10 Pro and would like to simply accomplish the following:

1) How can I create a Desktop Shortcut to bring up a specific VM without clicking on the VMWare icon first?

2) How can I always have the VMware Window (with the VM inside) resized in full-screen at all times?

Many thanks in advance!

🙂

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SchaalPatrick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@Smart_Neuron 

Create a Short:
Use the following Command as Link:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware.exe" -X "Fully path to the. vmx-File"
aka "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware.exe" -X "D:\My VM\Fidelio\Fidelio.vmx"

VM start an goes into the Fully Screen Mode. see: "Screenshot (2).png"

But the VM Workstation will not end when power off the Vm.

The better option was here, use the following command:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmplayer.exe" -X "Fully path to the. vmx-File"
aka "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmplayer.exe" -X "D:\My VM\Fidelio\Fidelio.vmx"

VM start an goes into the Fully Screen Mode. see: "Screenshot (3).png"

Also when power off VM the Player also close.

Check the Setting of VM -> Auto Fit Guest:

1. Your screenshot shows that you maximized the Workstation window. You did not enter full screen mode as implied by your question.
  2. If you mean how do you make the guest resolution fill the Workstation window, then you must go to Edit > Preferences > Display > Autofit and enable Autofit Guest.
  3. If you actually do want to use full screen mode, you additionally will need to go to Edit > Preferences > Display > Full screen and select Autofit Guest. You can enter and exit full screen mode by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Enter or choosing View > Full Screen.
  4. You alternatively could choose View > Fit Guest Now to manually cause the guest resolution to fill the available space.

View solution in original post

Tags (1)
11 Replies
SchaalPatrick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@Smart_Neuron 

Create a Short:
Use the following Command as Link:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware.exe" -X "Fully path to the. vmx-File"
aka "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmware.exe" -X "D:\My VM\Fidelio\Fidelio.vmx"

VM start an goes into the Fully Screen Mode. see: "Screenshot (2).png"

But the VM Workstation will not end when power off the Vm.

The better option was here, use the following command:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmplayer.exe" -X "Fully path to the. vmx-File"
aka "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmplayer.exe" -X "D:\My VM\Fidelio\Fidelio.vmx"

VM start an goes into the Fully Screen Mode. see: "Screenshot (3).png"

Also when power off VM the Player also close.

Check the Setting of VM -> Auto Fit Guest:

1. Your screenshot shows that you maximized the Workstation window. You did not enter full screen mode as implied by your question.
  2. If you mean how do you make the guest resolution fill the Workstation window, then you must go to Edit > Preferences > Display > Autofit and enable Autofit Guest.
  3. If you actually do want to use full screen mode, you additionally will need to go to Edit > Preferences > Display > Full screen and select Autofit Guest. You can enter and exit full screen mode by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Enter or choosing View > Full Screen.
  4. You alternatively could choose View > Fit Guest Now to manually cause the guest resolution to fill the available space.
Tags (1)
Smart_Neuron
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@SchaalPatrick-

I have the Desktop Shortcut working and the video settings set (see picture), but I still have to manually power on the VM and shut it down in Workstation.

Now in Player, it acts very close to the way I want in my original post, except that I can't hide the top toolbar for a true full screen view, like in Workstation.

Why can't I have all this functionality just in Workstation? Why two programs? Bit confused here.

Thanks! 😁

0 Kudos
SchaalPatrick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@Smart_Neuron 

hide the top toolbar
* click on the "PIN-Icon" so the Toolbar is going off -> See Pin-to-switch-off-Toolbar.JPG
* comes Back by mouse hover Top of Screen (middle)

The VMWare Player is an seperate Programm normaly used as FreeWare (some limitations) but is within the VMWare Workstation

Smart_Neuron
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@SchaalPatrick-

Almost done. The Pin was easy - I should have seen that!

Here's the thing -

How can I open and use the VM just like Player, but only using Workstation.

For example:

When I use workstation, I have to manually close out VMware after the VM shutdown.

When I use Player, I shutdown and Vmware terminates - nice and clean. This is my preferred way., but I lack the Workstation features.

Thanks again!

😁

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You can still use the Player UI - it is included with Workstation Pro

0 Kudos
Smart_Neuron
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@RDPetruska-

Hi.

How can I use Workstation as easily as Player,  per my last post above?

TIA 🙂

0 Kudos
SchaalPatrick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@Smart_Neuron 

Which Workstation features are missing when use VMWare Player?
I never have missing some features when i use the player for our external Customers.
Could you Specify?

0 Kudos
SchaalPatrick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@Engelkes 

What is your Question, about the Topics Question "two tasks"?

0 Kudos
SchaalPatrick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@Smart_Neuron 

I found an other Solution for you.

Config the VM To Fully Screen on Startup inside of VMWare Workstation -> VMWare-Workstation-Full-Screen-after-start.JPG

Create an newly ShortCut on Desktop with
"C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmrun.exe" -T ws start "Fully path to the. vmx-File"
aka "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmrun.exe" -T ws start "D:\VM\XP-Corel\Windows XP Professional.vmx"

Within this Option the VM start via VMWare Workstation and also when Shutdown the VM the VMWare Workstation will exit.

Note: This Option is only Available with one machine is running, no other! Error when more then one VM is running on VMWare Workstation.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Smart_Neuron
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Almost done.

Here is a screenshot for VMW Player and the other for Workstation.

Look closely at the toolbars. Why would I want to use Player (left)  if Workstation (right) has more features?

ppWorkstation 2.jpg

Thanks. 🙂

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

@Smart_Neuron wrote:

Almost done.

Here is a screenshot for VMW Player and the other for Workstation.

Look closely at the toolbars. Why would I want to use Player (left)  if Workstation (right) has more features?

🙂

Well, you yourself asked above how to run your VM in a single window and have the window/program close automatically when the VM was shut down.  That is one reason to use the Player UI.  Also, if you don't need to use some of the extra menu items of Workstation Pro, then that could be another reason.  I wasn't saying you HAD to use the Player UI, only informing you that it was available to you - i.e. it's included with the Pro version as an alternate UI.

0 Kudos