VMware Communities
margut
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

GraphicsAdapterNotFound Error

Hi, I installed Rust Programming Language in VMWare 16,1.2 successfully to test a Rust-based program. Double-clicking the program just flashes a small screen instantly and is gone.  When I run the program in command prompt it displays a "GraphicsAdapterNotFound Error". Is there some way to resolve this in VMWare? Or can you advise how to easily resolve this issue?

Host: Windows 10 x64

Guest: Windows 7 x32

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

As you can see inside the VM, the DDI level is "unknown" instead of 11. Considering it is Rust program, I would think it does not rely on DX11 (it is too specific to Windows) but would use something more open and portable such as OpenGL or Vulkan. But you have to verify with the library that you use with the Rust program.

The host graphics is Intel HD 3000. The HD 3000 supports up to OpenGL 3.1, so I suspect the DX10.1/OpenGL 3.3 will also not work with Workstation 15.x compatibility. I suspect that is too old and thus missing some features for VMware Workstation needs to deliver DX11 inside the VM.

You could try changing the virtual hardware compatibility to Workstation 15.x and see if you can get DX10.1/OpenGL 3.3 core profile inside the Windows 7 VM. If this gets you DX10.1/OpenGL 3.3 core profile inside the VM, I think it will not help with the Rust program.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

What graphics framework is the Rust program dependent on and/or looking for?

Keep in mind, you can have DX11 (Windows VMs) and OpenGL 4.1 (Windows/Linux VMs) in the guest. But it is also dependent on the host graphics hardware.

https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workstation-Pro/16/rn/VMware-Workstation-16-Pro-Release-Notes.html...

If the Rust program is looking for OpenGL 4.5 or newer or Vulkan, currently VMware Workstation VMs won't be able to support it.

0 Kudos
margut
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The rust-based program requires Dx11 only... 

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

So is the 3D Acceleration enabled in the Display settings of the VM?
What is shown in the DXDiag Display Tab for the Direct3D DDI/Feature Levels of the Windows 7 VM?
What is the graphics card of the host?
Try to update the VMware Tools https://www.vmware.com/go/tools
For Windows 7, there are SHA-2 updates that needs to be installed for the latest VMware Tools to install successfully. See https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/78708

0 Kudos
margut
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Both checked and unchecked 3D Graphics Accelerator in VM Display settings produced the same result. VMWare Tools was updated today and Windows update related to Sha-2 were installed through windows update since VM is Win7 x32 ESU. 

Host System:

Win10 x64 System.png

Win10 Display.png

 VM System:

Win7 x32 Virtual System.png

VMWare Dsplay.png

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

As you can see inside the VM, the DDI level is "unknown" instead of 11. Considering it is Rust program, I would think it does not rely on DX11 (it is too specific to Windows) but would use something more open and portable such as OpenGL or Vulkan. But you have to verify with the library that you use with the Rust program.

The host graphics is Intel HD 3000. The HD 3000 supports up to OpenGL 3.1, so I suspect the DX10.1/OpenGL 3.3 will also not work with Workstation 15.x compatibility. I suspect that is too old and thus missing some features for VMware Workstation needs to deliver DX11 inside the VM.

You could try changing the virtual hardware compatibility to Workstation 15.x and see if you can get DX10.1/OpenGL 3.3 core profile inside the Windows 7 VM. If this gets you DX10.1/OpenGL 3.3 core profile inside the VM, I think it will not help with the Rust program.

margut
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

When 3D Graphics Accelerator is enabled in VM DDI is 10.1 the same in virtualHW.version "12". So guess I cannot test the program in VMWare with my present setup.

Thank you so much for your time and advice. Good luck!

0 Kudos