VMware Communities
ThirtyReset
Contributor
Contributor

Graphics Issue with VMware Workstation 11.0 - Desktop distortion

Anyone seeing odd graphics issues with Windows 7 VMs?  Since moving to Workstation 11.0, I'm having significant graphics issues with my Windows-based VMs:

distorted_desktop.png

This occurs in a VMWare Workstation 8.0-built image that was working fine in 8.0 and 9.0, but now has a very distorted desktop image in 11.0.  Clicking "Show Desktop" clears it up, temporarily, but it does continually come back, particularly whenever a window is maximized in the guest.  It's not just the desktop that distorts in those cases, even the application will:

distorted_app.png

I've not run across any other reports like this, so it could just be something specific to my host machine (in this case, a Dell Precision M4600).  The VM itself has 8GB of allocated memory and 1GB allowed for Graphics Memory.

Unfortunately, my VMware Workstation install was done by our central IT and I'm having problems with updating it to 11.1.0 to see if that provides any relief, but I'm wondering if anyone else has run across this in 11.0?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ThirtyReset
Contributor
Contributor

I think I've stumbled across something that influences the behavior.  If I start up my guest Windows 7 OS without the Workstation window maximized (i.e. not full screen), the problem doesn't seem to occur (or it's much much less frequent).  It appears it's only occurring when Workstation itself is maximized before starting up the VM.

0 Kudos