VMware Communities
JShieldz
Contributor
Contributor

Graceful Shutdown of VM guests when HOST is shutdown/rebooted

Workstation Pro 16.2.x,   Guest = WinXP SP3   Host =Win10

When Win10 HOST shuts down or is rebooted,  the current behavior of Workstation is to automatically SUSPEND all running guest VMs.  

Is it possible to automatically Graceful Shutdown the guests (instead of suspend) through a config file somewhere? 

Windows 10 likes to restart on its own after patching itself (or you can schedule the restart), but if you forget about your running VMs and/or forget about the restart schedule and leave guest VMs running overnight, the Win 10 HOST will reboot and auto-suspend all the guest VMs, which could result in data loss in those VM workloads. 

I realize I can manually shut down all guests before rebooting the host.  That's not what this post is about.   I want the graceful shutdowns of guests to be automatic, without user interaction, when host shuts down or reboots.

If automatic Graceful Shutdown of guests is not currently built in,  could we add as a feature request?

6 Replies
bsffg
Contributor
Contributor

I would like the same. I'm having physical USB devices not reconnecting after booting from hibernate. @JShieldz have you found a solution yet?

GB10
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Spoiler
I would like the same too.
0 Kudos
JShieldz
Contributor
Contributor

No,  not yet.  I am hoping this feature request will be picked up by the development team and added in a future build of Workstation.  The framework is already there, in that Workstation already has the ability to SUSPEND guests when Host shuts down or reboots, so I imagine it should not be difficult to add a new option for "graceful shutdown" that users can set as the default behavior, instead of suspend.

0 Kudos
pwolf
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Your only option is to write a shutdown script, which shuts down every VM during logoff.

0 Kudos
JShieldz
Contributor
Contributor

/bump.  Can this be added as a feature request?  It's been almost a year without reply from staff.

Tags (1)
basal2020
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos