VMware Communities
EileenW
Contributor
Contributor

Got "Error: VMware Tools are not running in the guest" when running multiple vmrun commands simultaneously

Hi,

I have VMW Workstation 7.1.2 installed on my Win7 machine, and I have multiple VMs, and they all have the latest VMware tools installed.

I have a batch file (test1.bat) that does the following through vmrun:

1.Start VM1

2.Copy some files to VM1

3.Run Program in VM1 using runProgramInGuest (This program can take several hours to finish)

And I have another batch file (test2.bat) that does exactly the same thing except that everything will be happening on VM2.

I found that when I run these two batch files at the same time, SOMETIMES I would get "Error: VMware Tools are not running in the guest" on one of the batch files. And I never have this problem if I only run one batch file.

I wonder if there is any workaround/fix for this?

Thanks,

Eileen

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mlandman99
Contributor
Contributor

I'm seeing the same problem, in a very similar scenario.

I'm using some vix (vmrun) commands on a regression rig that has the capability of running some tests in parallel. Sometimes when running tests in parallel, I see this problem. Doesn't occur if they're all running sequentially. Looks like vmrun doesn't handle being called in parallel on the same machine very well.

Has anyone else seen this or have any suggestions?

0 Kudos
mlandman99
Contributor
Contributor

Does anyone know if there is any debug options that can be used to help provide additional data?

Would also be really cool if we could specify the source IP port that the VIX command is going to use, in hopes that the response from vCenter gets back to the correct vmrun command when more than one are running in parallel --- i.e. we could try and specify a unique source port for each of the parallel instantiations of vmrun, just to see if it makes a difference.

In the event that nobody has any suggestions, is there an appropriate process I should use to file a bug report?

0 Kudos
mlandman99
Contributor
Contributor

ugh this one is killing me.

0 Kudos