VMware Communities
ShoreNuff
Contributor
Contributor

GigE Cameras

Hi,

I would like to run two virtual machines that are each connected to a (different) GigE camera.  Each camera connects directly to an Ethernet port and has a special Ethernet driver designed for high speed video over the Ethernet (GigE).  Can I somehow setup each VM to have 2 Ethernet connections, one for the GigE camera, and one for the internet?

Thanks.

- ShoreNuff

0 Kudos
3 Replies
_Royce_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Why not just have a gigabit switch on your network and each VM connects via IP to the cameras? I think that would be easier than trying to mess around with multiple ethernet ports.

0 Kudos
ShoreNuff
Contributor
Contributor

Hi _Royce_,

Thanks for your answer.  I do not understand it.  Could you give instructions how to do what you are saying.

Let me detail what I have.  I have a workstation with two Ethernet ports.  One is connected to our LAN the other is connected to the GigE camera.  The Ethernet card connected to the camera has a fixed IP address.  The camera also has a fixed IP address.  How do I properly create the network adapter(s) on my VM so that it can see my LAN (Ethernet card 0) and see the fixed address camera connected to Ethernet card 1?

Thanks.

_Royce_
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Get a 5 port ethernet gigabit switch. Connect it to your LAN port. Connect your workstation to the switch. Connect the GigE camera's to the switch. Viola, problem solved.

If the GigE cameras use PoE, get a 5 port PoE gigabit switch. Netgear make an excellent 5port PoE switch, with 2 ports PoE - model number GS105PE.

Alternatively you could add a 2nd network adapter to your VM. But then you'd need to workout how to setup your guest OS for multihoming. Which I believe isn't something straight forward.

0 Kudos