VMware Communities
mjbobak
Contributor
Contributor

Getting "virtual CPU has entered shutdown state" on boot of VM.

Hi,

I'm running VM Workstation 7.1.4 on a Dell Latitude E6410 (w/ i7 640M CPU), running Ubuntu 11.04, trying to boot Windows 7 physical disk on my dual boot system.

As soon as I hit the power button on the VM, I see the BIOS screen, and then immediately get the "virtual CPU has entered shutdown state" error.

Here's an excerpt from the relevant vmware.logfile:

Aug 13 02:44:26.428: vcpu-1| CPU reset: soft (mode 2)nn
Aug 13 02:44:26.462: vcpu-0| BIOS-UUID is 56 4d 20 3b 87 34 27 6e-b8 84 be 41 66 bc f7 09
Aug 13 02:44:26.857: mks| HostOps hideCursor before defineCursor!
Aug 13 02:44:27.764: vcpu-0| Triple fault.
Aug 13 02:44:27.764: vcpu-0| MsgHint: msg.monitorEvent.tripleFault
Aug 13 02:44:27.764: vcpu-0| A virtual CPU has entered the shutdown state. This would have caused a physical machine to restart. This can be caused by an incorrect configuration of the virtual machine, a bug in the operating system or a problem in the VMware Workstation software.---------------------------------------

Can anyone offer me a clue?  I've been searching the VMWare site as well as doing Google searches, but, haven't been able to find much on this error.

Thanks,

-Mark

0 Kudos
12 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi

can you please attach the vmware.log ?

0 Kudos
mjbobak
Contributor
Contributor

Attached.

Thanks for your help.

-Mark

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

do you run this VM as root ? - if not try it

I think you need elevated rights to use the physical disk

I would also try to run the VM without the serial port (ThinPrint)

0 Kudos
mjbobak
Contributor
Contributor

I added my id to the 'disk' group, so, permissions shouldn't be a problem.

I'll try running w/o serial port, see what that does....

-Mark

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

that was enough in the past - please just give it a try and launch WS via sudo

0 Kudos
mjbobak
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, ran as 'sudo vmware', still get the same error.

vmware.log is attached.

-Mark

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

question: is /dev/sda the disk that your host boots from ?

see this post http://communities.vmware.com/thread/325041?tstart=0

here a similar thing works - hopefully that guy posts his vmware.log so we can compare start conditions

0 Kudos
Masl
Contributor
Contributor

Hi guys,

I think that's a bug.

I do get the exact same error running VMware Player on my W7 Thinkpad, AFTER I copied the VM to a USB disk.

Importing the VM into VMware Player 3.1 - from the local disk - it starts as usual, but when I copy that VM to the USB disks once more - same error again.

The VM's OS is RHEL 6.1...

I'll keep you posted as soon as I'm able to find out any useful hints...

Regards,

Masl

0 Kudos
mjbobak
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

I managed to find a simple solution to this problem.

It's called "install virtualbox". I'm only sorry I didn't try that before I spent money buying VMWare.

-Mark

0 Kudos
tigs77uk
Contributor
Contributor

Definitely a bug, can confirm the same behaviour on i7 processor based machines running Windows 7 and Debian 6.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi tigs77uk,

The error message in question ("virtual CPU has entered the shutdown state") can be caused by many, many different things.  Can you describe a bit more about your VM's configuration?  It would also probably help if you could power on your VM and get it to the state where you see that error message, then power off your VM, and post the vmware.log from the VM's directory as an attachment when replying to this thread.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
tigs77uk
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Darius,

It’s no biggie, I just installed a 10.04.3 version of Ubuntu instead.

It’s definitely a bug with i7 Processors and Ubuntu 11.04 though, I’ve tried it on a Dell workstation, Fujitsu Celcius Laptop, Sony Vaio VPC-Z21V9E and Fujitsu Celcius W410 workstation. All of which are running i7 processors with dual boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu 11. In neither OS will Vmware Workstation 8.0.0 boot the Ubuntu 11.04 ISO, on all configurations the error message described by the original poster appears.

Every other version of Ubuntu that I have tried seems to work fine on the Core i7 and the same problem cannot be replicated on any other processor architecture that I have tried (i5 and Core 2 Duo)

As I said, it’s no problem as I just needed the SCSI compatibility of Ubuntu to pull some data from an old clients server, I was more than happy to stick with Ubuntu 10. It would be nice if you were able to resolve the bug though, its late here in the UK so I’m about to leave the office, but if you would like me to send the logs to aid you in the resolution I am more than happy to do so.

Best Regards

Séan Watson

Managing Director

0203 002 0616

07855 419494

<http://www.tranquilit.net/> www.tranquilit.net

This Email is intended for the mentioned recipient, its contents are confidential. If you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender immediately without copying or onward transmission. In so far as the message in this email contains any form of offer to enter into or vary any contract, as email communication is insecure

such offer is subject to verification by TranquilIT. Any offer is subject to signature and completion of our standard terms and business conditions.

0 Kudos