VMware Communities
SirRapses
Contributor
Contributor

Getting Double Bandwidth

Hi,

Can someone give light to this and how can i take advantage of it using my router if possible?

Internet speed: 3.5 Mbps

Vmware: Windows 7 or Windows XP

When I do a direct connection to modem. This is what I get.

Desktop Downloading torrent: Download speed max = 3.5Mbps

VM machine Downloading torrent: Download speed max = 3.5Mbps

Total: 7.0Mbps

They are both downloading with may maximum speed. (Note: my max speed in speedtest is only 3.5Mbps)

Connected to my router RT-N66U:

Desktop and VM machine Downloading torrent: Download speed max = 3.5Mbps

Total: 3.5 Mbps

Question:

Why do I get twice my max bandwidth when directly connected to my modem?

Can I configure my router to do the same?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
inmarket
Contributor
Contributor

It is unlikely that you are getting twice the data through your internet pipe than your internet pipe can provide.

What is likely is that the figures are being fudged when they are both connected to the modem.

I suspect that being a torrent that the two devices are finding each other and therefore sharing data between themselves at loopback speed. Thus one device is effectively getting its data for free.

If you were to torrent different files on each of the hosts that were not available on the other host you would probably find that they add up to 3.5Mbps, just like your router configuration.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi SirRapses

Welcome to the community.

You are downloading same time in both pc or one after another .

Problem littlebit silly but very interesting .

"Life is never easy for those who dream"
0 Kudos
SirRapses
Contributor
Contributor

Yes the same time i only have 1 PC i have vm ware installed in this PC. So when i am downloading in the PC i am getting max 3.5Mbps then i open vmware download another torrent file it also downloads 3.5Mbps when i check netlimiter i am downloading 3.5Mbps in vmware and another 3.5Mbps in my pc.

0 Kudos