VMware Communities
JonGUK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Full restore of Server 2008 R2 to vmware workstation 9 from windows backup image

Workstation 9.

I am trying to restore a windows server 2008 r2 backup (taken with windows built-in backup) to an existing vmware server 2008 r2 installation. Basically I'm just want to replace the install with the backup version.

The problem is, the windows backup image is on a USB drive.

The process to restore is:

1. plug usb disk into host
  2. put windows server r2 DVD in drive
  3. boot up guest server 2008 r2 and press escape key at bootup and then boot from CD
  4. select "repair" installation
  5. but here is the problem, the windows backup image is on my usb drive but at this stage I cannot see the usb drive from with the guest at the repair installation process.

Any ideas how best to do this ?

thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Okay, Downloaded the Windows Server 2008 R2 ISO Image, created a new Virtual Machine, added Windows Server Backup and made a complete backup, sans the destination drive for the backup, to a USB Flash Drive.

Booted the VM from the the ISO Image and it did not see the Backup from USB Flash Drive even though I can see it from the Command Prompt.

Also created a Raw Disk .vmdk pointing to the USB Flash Drive and booted the VM from the the ISO Image and it did not see the Backup from the .vmdk Raw Disk of the USB Flash Drive because the Virtual Machine had issues during the boot process.  Forget the exact error message however I tried both as a whole disk and a partition.  So that's why I tested copying it to a normal file based virtual hard disk ( and that worked).

Finally I created a normal file based .vmdk and copied the Backup Folder from the USB Flash Drive to it and then booted the VM from the the ISO Image and it had no problems seeing the Backup from the normal file based .vmdk.

So it looks like you're going to have to take the long way around but at least you should be able to see it! Smiley Wink

I do not know if when booting from the ISO Image or Optical Disc of Windows Server 2008 R2 the Command Line Backup Tools are available to restore the image however you could look into that.  I would however I just do not have the time at the moment.

Message was edited by: WoodyZ - Changed comment re: Raw Disk

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Did you connect the USB Device to the Virtual Machine?

Another option would be to but the backup on a virtual hard disk and temporarily attach the .vmdk file to the Virtual Machine for the restore.

JonGUK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, I attached the usb device to the virtual machine, but of course I then have to boot from the CD within the virtual machine to enter repair mode so it would seem at that point it is losing the connection to the usb drive and I can't see a way of getting it to showup when booting from CD, even though in the menu it says it is connected to the virtual.

I think the .vmdk temp disk is probably the best bet, a real shame though as simply restoring from USB should be nice and straight forward.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I think the .vmdk temp disk is probably the best bet, a real shame though as simply restoring from USB should be nice and straight forward.

You can also try creating the .vmdk file as a Raw Disk.  In other words you'd be accessing the USB Device as a virtual hard disk, not actually copying the backup to a normal file based .vmdk file! Smiley Wink.

0 Kudos
JonGUK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That's interesting, didn't realize you could do that.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yeah it's doable...  have a look at:  Add a Physical Disk to an Existing Virtual Machine

0 Kudos
JonGUK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just tried that.  The usb drive is attached to the host as drive E.  I tried adding it as a new disk to the guest by using "real" disk, but it doesn't see it, only sees the drive C: of the host. Seems it won't see the USB drive as a local disk of the host.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'm downloading Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 ISO Image from TechNet, although it will be a while as I have a slow connection where I'm at today, and will do some tests to see what if anything can be done to make this work.  Will get back to you later.

0 Kudos
JonGUK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

very kind of you, thanks very much.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Okay, Downloaded the Windows Server 2008 R2 ISO Image, created a new Virtual Machine, added Windows Server Backup and made a complete backup, sans the destination drive for the backup, to a USB Flash Drive.

Booted the VM from the the ISO Image and it did not see the Backup from USB Flash Drive even though I can see it from the Command Prompt.

Also created a Raw Disk .vmdk pointing to the USB Flash Drive and booted the VM from the the ISO Image and it did not see the Backup from the .vmdk Raw Disk of the USB Flash Drive because the Virtual Machine had issues during the boot process.  Forget the exact error message however I tried both as a whole disk and a partition.  So that's why I tested copying it to a normal file based virtual hard disk ( and that worked).

Finally I created a normal file based .vmdk and copied the Backup Folder from the USB Flash Drive to it and then booted the VM from the the ISO Image and it had no problems seeing the Backup from the normal file based .vmdk.

So it looks like you're going to have to take the long way around but at least you should be able to see it! Smiley Wink

I do not know if when booting from the ISO Image or Optical Disc of Windows Server 2008 R2 the Command Line Backup Tools are available to restore the image however you could look into that.  I would however I just do not have the time at the moment.

Message was edited by: WoodyZ - Changed comment re: Raw Disk

0 Kudos
JonGUK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your efforts.  It does seem that is the only option which really is a shame as it just adds another layer of fiddling to what should be a very simple process.

many thanks

Jon

0 Kudos
JonGUK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just did a full server restore to my backup server today using this method and it works fine.  A bit of a fiddle to have to do it this way but it does work.

thanks

Jon

0 Kudos