VMware Communities
bjcas
Contributor
Contributor

Full Screen Resolution

Hi,

Hopefully this is the right place to ask...

I'm using VMware Workstation v7.1.4 build-385536, on a host of Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600, Service Pack 3. I have dual screens, both with resolutions of 1680x1050.

Using VMware Workstation, I have created a guest running Windows XP. This guest is emulating a real system, that has a single display with a resolution of 1280x1024. It is important that the resolution of the guest is the same as the real system. The guest starts in the correct resolution - 1280x1024. However, for clarity, it is desirable to run the guest in Full Screen mode on the secondary display. On selecting Full Screen mode (using Ctrl-Alt-Enter), the guest correctly takes over the secondary display. However, the guest resolution automatically changes to match the display resolution (i.e. 1680x1050). It is then necessary to manually change the guest resolution back to 1280x1024 which then displays as desired - centralised on the display with a large black border. Both the Autofit Window and Autofit Guest are unchecked (on the View menu). This is especially inconvenient when the VMs are part of a team, as the resolution is changed each time the active VM (in the team) is changed.

Is it possible to select Full Screen without changing the resolution of the guest? Alternatively, is there a different type of view that can be easily selected and shows the full 1280x1024 resolution of the guest on a 1680x1050 display, without scrolling (which happens when other elements remain, such as the border or status of the VMs in the team), and without the guest resolution being changed?

TIA,

Bruce

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
bjcas
Contributor
Contributor

Hi again,

Sorry, I should have mentioned that this issue was also present on VMware Workstation v6.

Bruce

0 Kudos
bjcas
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, no responses so I guess the problem is exclusive to me!

Despite having searched for a solution for many months - long before I posted here - I think I've stumbled across the solution by sheer luck. I thought I'd post my finding here.

The solution is as follows:

• Start the VM
  • Switch Full Screen mode (using Ctrl-Alt-Enter)
  • Hover near the top of the screen to show the VMware menu
  • Click on the System menu (the VMware icon)
  • Select the Center Guest option [For me, this had been set to Autofit Guest]

This setting would seem to be sticky, that is it is remebered between sessions. I haven't found any other reference to this setting, including how to set it in the VMware UI before switching to Full Screen mode. I did observe that the relevant setting seems to be recorded in the VMware preferences file (...\Application Data\VMware\preferences.ini). The setting is identified as pref.autoFitFullScreen and is set to "none" when centred and "fitGuestToHost" when it autofits.

I hope this information helps someone else too. Perhaps a VMware guru might identify how to set this preference from the VMware UI before entering Full Screen mode.

Regards.

Message was edited by: bjcas - Typo.

0 Kudos