VMware Communities
thangarajj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fresh Workstation installation - weird error - unable to install

After a long time, I am installing vmware workstation to try. But a very strange issue keeps me from being able to install it. When I run the installer, I get the standard UAC prompt & then an unclosable window with the title 'Vmware Workstation Setup' opens up & I get the error below error:

--

Script Error:

Line: 393

Char: 2

Error: 's_pageName' is undefined

Code: 0

URL: file:///C:/Users/xyz/AppData/Local/Temp/vmware_1258601684/index.htm?lang=1033&locale=1033

Do you want to continue running scripts on this page?

--

I then realized that this is an internet explorer window and it is browsing to a html file extracted to the temporary directory. I've attached screenshots of the same.

At this point, I can do nothing and the installation process does not go forward. Whatever link I click on the html page, I get a page not found error. & I am unable to close the setup window excepting using the task manager & killing the setup process.

This is the weirdest error that I've seen with an installer, esp. with the site being opened is not even Vmware (but adobe) Smiley Happy

Has this happened to anyone else? I downloaded the whole installer again, and there is no change.

Any help appreciated.

System info:

Win 7 Ultimate x64. 6GB RAM

Have never installed a vmware product on this machine, though I've xp mode installed.

System is upto date with patches

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Vile
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is a bug in VMware installation.

To fix it - make sure that there is no "index.htm" file in the same directory as Vmware installation file (which you have downloaded). Otherwise it would be copied into TMP folder instead of proper one and installation will fail.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Bazzer747
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You don't say what version Workstation you are installing. 7 is the one for Windows 7, 6.5 won't work. Not sure if v7 works with the 64bit either, I'd check the specifications for v7.

0 Kudos
thangarajj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm using version 7, the latest version that I'd just downloaded from vmware.com

The installer is named as 'VMware-workstation-full-7.0.0-203739.exe'

Download file info from https://www.vmware.com/tryvmware/p/download.php?p=workstation&lp=1

--

Workstation for 32-bit and 64-bit Windows

Version 7.0 | 203739 - 10/27/09 Binary (.exe) (512 MB)

.exe installation file for 32-bit and 64-bit Windows with Tools

0 Kudos
thangarajj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is there any hope for me?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

do you use a proxy ? - is it configured correctly ?

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
thangarajj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

No, the connection is direct, through a LAN. No other application has an issue with network.

0 Kudos
thangarajj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I cannot believe I'm the only one who has this issue! Is there any solution? Anybody?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you are not alone - read http://sanbarrow.com/workstation-faq.html - maybe it helps

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
thangarajj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, but no change with the suggestions on that faq.

0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

PMJI: Did you try right clicking the installer and then "Run as administrator"?

Lou

0 Kudos
thangarajj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, no luck.

0 Kudos
cdc1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Change your TEMP and TMP environment variables to a different location, making sure it's an empty directory. Then, try installing again. Don't forget to set your TEMP and TMP variables back to the original value when you're done.

You could also try clearing out your TEMP directory, but the first option I mentioed ensures that TEMP/TMP is in a clean/empty state for your install attempt. Open files in your current TEMP/TM directory can make it a pain to clean it out entirely.

0 Kudos
thangarajj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry for the dissapearing act Smiley Happy

I've tried the 'changing. TEMP/TMP env variables. No change in status. I'm attaching the setup log I found in the new temp directory. It does mention an error. The last part is below:

--

20100117151000:INFO CHtmlUI::Show: Showing the UI window

20100117151000:INFO CHtmlUI::SetWindowTitle: Changing the UI's window title from '' to 'VMware Workstation Setup'

20100117151000:INFO CPackageManager::GetFile: index.htm

20100117151000:INFO CHtmlUI::SetHtmlFile: Navigating from '' to 'c:\temp\t2\vmware_1263721199\index.htm'

20100117151000:INFO CBootstrapCmd::LuaUIShow: calling StartSequence('splash')

20100117151000:INFO CHtmlUI::StartSequence: About to Run UI Sequence splash 00000118 021156B0 1

20100117151000:INFO CHtmlUI::StartSequence: Running UI Sequence splash

20100117151000:INFO CHtmlDialog::NavigateToFile: Loading file c:\temp\t2\vmware_1263721199\index.htm?lang=1033&locale=1033

20100117151006:ERROR** CHtmlDialog::CallJScript: Failed to obtain required required jscript ID; COM Error: -2147352570

--

Does this make sense to someone? Would really like to try version 7.

0 Kudos
loveric
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

God, I have the same issue.

Is there a solution ?

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/253573?tstart=0

0 Kudos
Vile
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is a bug in VMware installation.

To fix it - make sure that there is no "index.htm" file in the same directory as Vmware installation file (which you have downloaded). Otherwise it would be copied into TMP folder instead of proper one and installation will fail.

0 Kudos
thangarajj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I deleted the index.htm file and now am able to start the installation process. You're a genius Smiley Happy

However did you find this solution?

0 Kudos