VMware Communities
Cinkriz
Contributor
Contributor

Frame buffer error

I am getting the following error message when I attempt to restore my VM:

The frame buffer layout of the current display cannot be made to match the frame buffer layout stored in the snapshot. The dimensions of the frame buffer in the snapshot are: Max width 2560, Max height 1770, max size 18153472. The dimensions of the frame buffer are on the current display are: max width 2360, max height 1770, max size 16777216. Error encountered while trying to restore the state of group SVGA from the file "L.........................

I had been using a two monitor system last time I saved my display. I am now on a single monitor.

If you can direct me on the fix to this, please let me know.

thanks,

cindy

0 Kudos
6 Replies
norregaard
Expert
Expert

As a workaround, you could create a new VM and attach the existing .vmdk disk file to it. That way you should be able to boot the machine.

0 Kudos
Cinkriz
Contributor
Contributor

I appreciate your response...

I only know enough about VM as I need to know to get me thru my job. Is there a way I can just change settings. I can't power off my machine because I can't open the suspended state.

0 Kudos
norregaard
Expert
Expert

Try to change the display settings for VM. From Workstation, right click the VM and choose 'Settings'. Choose Display and then choose 'Specify monitor settings' and then whatever corresponds to your setup.

I've screendumped the settings page as I see it in Workstation:

http://picasaweb.google.dk/norregaard/Misc02#5363173480637081138

Cinkriz
Contributor
Contributor

I tried that but since I'm unable to power off my VM state, I can't edit the settings.

0 Kudos
norregaard
Expert
Expert

Try to delete the .vmss file from the VM directory (it keeps the suspended state of the VM). Then exit Workstation and open it again. Then you should be able to do a fresh boot. I just tried it in my own setup and it works fine (the suspended state disappears)

Cinkriz
Contributor
Contributor

I have 5 VM's, 3 of which have .vmss files. two of them, including this one, do not have a vmss file in their separate VM directory. I did, however, find this VM's .vmss file in another VM directory. I deleted that file, closed WS and reopened, but to no avail.

i've come up with another workaround in the meantime where I don't have to use my VM, so for now i'm going with that route for times sake.

thank you so much for your time and effort.

0 Kudos