VMware Communities
John_Leask
Contributor
Contributor

Force dual displays with fixed resolution ?

Is there any way to force full screen dual displays in a VM at all times? I'm using Windows 7x64 host and guest, with two displays - 1920x1200, and 1600x1200.

As well as it being a bit of a pain having to cycle monitors every time I start up, there are times when the VM messes up, and loses the second display, or changes the guest resolution, messing up the work I'm doing in the guest.

One particularly annoying example is when I run a full screen program on the host that changes the resolution on the left display, the VM's display is messed up on exiting the program.

Before running the program on the host, the guest had been minimized, but on restoring it, I see the left hand side of the guest's first monitor on the right display - the left continues to show the host.

I am unable to to access the VMware menu - it would have been on the left display that is now showing the host, but it doesn't now show on the right display (now showing the left of the guest), so there is no way to 'cycle monitors', to hopefully fix things up.

I tried changing resolutions on the guest, but that doesn't help - even using VMwareResolutionSet.exe like this:

> "C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\VMwareResolutionSet.exe" 0 2 , 0 0 1920 1200 , 1920 0 1600 1200

I can't see any way of programmatically 'cycling monitors'.

The only thing I managed to come up with to fix it up is to disable the second display on the host, and then re-enable it again (moves the guest back to the left), and then cycle monitors in the guest (now that I can access the VMware menu again) to fix up displays and resolution (and then repair the layout of the messed up apps in the guest).

Another example, is anytime I need to exit full screen mode other than by minimizing the VM - it loses the second display, and I have to 'cycle monitors'  in the guest to get it back.

Thanks for any ideas.

0 Kudos
0 Replies