VMware Communities
WAFEMAN
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fn key enabled for VMWare guest

I'm running VMWare Workstation Pro, v14, on a Windows 10 laptop. This is a new installation for this host.

All the keys on the host that have a 'Fn' option are typing this by default on the guest. If I press the 'Fn' key while typing I get the expected character!

This is a map of what I type on the host and what appears on the guest by default:

Key on hostTyped result in virtual machine
U4
I5
O6
P /
J1
K2
L3
; -
0 *
M0
/ +

This is what I would expect if I pressed the 'Fn' key plus the host key.

The guest O/S is Windows server 2008 R2. I've uninstalled and re-installed the VMWare tools and completely uninstalled the VMWare tools without changing the behavior. Removing the 54-bit version of VMWare tools and installing the 32-bit version didn't change the behavior.

How can I fix this?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scillonian
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

It looks like NumLock is on in the Guest. While in the Guest press the NumLock key to toggle the NumLock state and see if the keys now work as desired.

In VMware Workstation the Guest OS can have a different CapsLock and NumLock status to the Host.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Scillonian
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

It looks like NumLock is on in the Guest. While in the Guest press the NumLock key to toggle the NumLock state and see if the keys now work as desired.

In VMware Workstation the Guest OS can have a different CapsLock and NumLock status to the Host.

0 Kudos
WAFEMAN
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Pressing the [FN]+[Num Lock] key combination dis-engaged the alternate keyboard behavior in the VM and left the host unchanged.

0 Kudos