VMware Communities
mclarkson78
Contributor
Contributor

Fit Guest Now greyed out and autofit doesn't work - Workstation 12.5 on Win 10 with Fedora 24 guest

Preface: I'm a Red Hat Certified Architect. The only reason I'm using Windows 10 as a host at all is the current contract I'm working requires it. I need Linux for the tools I do actual work with. I sprung for Workstation Pro because the company doesn't allow VirtualBox on their approved software list and I figured VMWare Pro was professional grade desktop virtualization with professional grade support. Silly me, thinking an enterprise virtualization company that got their start virtualizing the desktop would get virtualization right.

I'm running WS Pro 12.5 on a Windows 10 machine, both fully updated as of today. I installed a Fedora 24 guest, then added the VMWare Tools. They are installed and running. When I log in the desktop resizes to the window, whatever size it is. Then it never resizes again. Free VirtualBox can do this trick, but the VMWare Workstation Pro I dumped $250 into can't. The Linux virtualization tools can do this. VMWare can't. I read about Unity mode. That would work for me. Then I found out VMWare doesn't care about its corporate users who have to work with Windows and Linux on the same machine so they dumped Unity support for the group it made the most sense for, Linux users. Because who better to crap on than the people who keep your company afloat, pro users.

So I went to open a support case. This $250 software doesn't come with support. Are you kidding me? Not even email support?

So my question is this, have any of you gotten this to work? I need to be able to have my Linux desktop scale when I resize the window. I need to be able to flip between the Windows applications the customer requires and the Fedora applications I require. I don't want to have to squint at a low res desktop on Linux or manually resize when I flip between windows. Am I barking up the wrong tree? Should I start writing the use case so the company grants me an exception? Because if this doesn't get fixed, there is a huge team of contractors that will stop using VMWare in short order.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Probably not much help but...

I am still on version 11 (never have gotten around to installing 12), running on Mint 17.1 host.

I have  Ubunto 16.04 (Mate) and a Mint 17.2 (Mate) and they both scale properly.

A VM with mint 18 does not. I no longer have a Centos VM to test with. Since I usually run full screen, I have not really done that much to see how well it scales.

Perhaps one of the newer VMWare support folks can help you.

0 Kudos
yanw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi, mclarkson78:

Sorry for the inconvenience we brought to you. I want to confirm that do you use the open-vm-tools or the WS12.5 bundled legacy tools?

Method: Open the terminal on Fedora VM and type: "vmtoolsd -v", WS12.5 bundled legacy tools version should be 10.0.10.

0 Kudos