VMware Communities
zx5000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Firewire in WinXP guest?

I have a WinXP guest running on a Fedora 8 (kernel 2.6.25). In this guest I'd like to install the PreSonus Inspire software but it does not find the device. Is it possible to use the 1394 device in a guest?

The device does work with freebob / ardour but there are no device specific controls available.

TIA

Workstation 6.0.4

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No current VMware product offers Firewire devices to the guest

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No current VMware product offers Firewire devices to the guest

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
zx5000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I suspected that might be the case but had hoped it wouldn't.

0 Kudos
joehecht
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

>>No current VMware product offers Firewire devices to the guest

Interestingly, I used to be able to add a external firewire drive as a physical drive to a VM, and it worked well (VMWorkstaiton 5.5).

In Workstation 6, I can add it, but I get all sorts of errors when I boot the guest (something about the SCSI device).

I do not know if this is specific toWorkstation 6, or if it is just that I changed machines and perhaps have different firewire chips and Workstation has trouble with them, or if it is that I am using SCSI drives in the guest, or if I need to add the other scsi driver to the guest.

This is very frustrating. I need to use that disk as a physical drive.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Joe

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

>Interestingly, I used to be able to add a external firewire drive as a physical drive to a VM, and it worked well (VMWorkstaiton 5.5).

This is a complete different story - in this case the disk is connected as virtual SCSI.

Looks like adding Firewire-disks as SCSI-virtual devices to guests worked nice in WS 5.5.* - I did that too.

Now in WS 6.* this seems to produce problems - there is another recent post who mentioned this ???

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
zx5000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Is there a place where we can create feature requests?

0 Kudos