VMware Communities
lperalta1992
Contributor
Contributor

File required to power on this virtual machine. If this file was moved, specify the new location

File not found: C:\Users\XYZ\Documents\Virtual Machines\DUMMYVM_W2016\WindowsServer2016-000002.vmdk

This file is required to power on this virtual machine. If this file was moved, specify the new location.

----

I got this error on VMware Workstation Pro 15.5.7 build-17171714, but thr file is present and in the right path, if I browse it and select it the machine starts, the problem is when I try to restore a snapshot, this error appear and the snapshot does not go to the point related with the snapshot, it stays in the same actual point.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

One of the files that make up the virtual disk is missing (WindowsServer2016-000002-s007.vmdk).

Causes are usually a antivirus scan application which quarantined one of the .vmdk file(s), or a location that's included in the OneDrive synchronization.

If it's the A/V, then consider to exclude *.vm* files from being scanned, and use an in-guest A/V application instead.

André

lperalta1992
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, I didn't notice that this file was missing. Is there something else possible to avoid loosing that snapshot? I could not find the file in anyother location and also reviewed the AV in case of quarantine the vdmk but there is nothing in quarantine.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

What you can try - after backing up the current folder/files - is to replace the missing file with one of the snapshot's 512kB .vmdk files, which are basically empty files, that only contain the required metadata.

This will of course not bring back any data that was stored in the missing file, and you will most likely experience some file corruption, but it should allow you to access/use the snapshot again.

André

0 Kudos