VMware Communities
rzock
Contributor
Contributor

File name length issue

I'm using Workstation 12.5.9 build-7535481, running on Windows 2012 x64  R2 standard server. This is hosting a W10 VM, with the latest VMWare tools installed. The VM connects to the host file system using the 'Share Folders' capability. But it fails copying files using any software (explorer, goodsync, total commander...) when the file names exceed ~255 ch. It probably reaches the 260 characters limit. On the other hand, if it uses a network connection (UNC \\<ip addr>\share) then the files copy well. Is this a limitation of the VMWare tools? Is there a fix for this?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Try changing (in registry):

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem\LongPathsEnabled

from 0 to 1

Lou

0 Kudos
rzock
Contributor
Contributor

I set this flag on both the host and the guest OS but without luck ;-(

When I copy a file from the local file system to another dir in the same file system, it works (400+ file name length), on both host and guest. When I copy from guest to host using a network path (\\<ip addr>\path) it works. When I'm using a shared folder (\\vmware-host\Shared Folders\path), then it fails with long file names. It is really a problem for me as the network layer is way slower than the shared folders.

noguchif
Contributor
Contributor

Doesn't work for me either; this is not the root cause.

Assuming you have a verified backup, attempt to recycle the directory and see if you get a message about a filename being too long for the recycle bin. If that happens, then you'll have problems copying the file. I'll file a support incident with this error and why we don't get any error message in the guest OS (Win10 over Fusion over MacOS, in this case).

Fernando