VMware Communities
Luca61
Contributor
Contributor

File copy between VM and host fails (almost) consistently

Emboldened by the quick resolution of my first problem, here I go again. Smiley Happy

Same Win 7 VM as in my previous post, running on Workstation 9.0.1. Host is windows 8 x64

If I copy a bunch of folders from the VM to the host (drag and drop), copy fails, not all the time, but almost:

Cannot open local file for write

Cancelling the file copy operation

Sometimes the copy will work just fine. It seems to get worse with handling larger amouns of data.

Thanks,

Luca

6 Replies
milton123
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

milton123 wrote:

Please have a look..

http://superuser.com/questions/247268/all-i-want-is-copy-and-paste

That article is for Microsoft Windows Virtual PC not VMware Workstation!

Luca61
Contributor
Contributor

You are correct WoodyZ, definitely that article does not apply. :smileylaugh:  This seems to be a VMWare Workstation problem. The copy always fails in the first stage, though seemingly after random amounts ot time. Occasionally (maybe 10% of the time) there is no problem at all. I tried increasing the memory on the guest from 4 to to 8GB (host has 16GB), thinking maybe a memory problem, but it did not help. Also expanded the drive and set it to persistent, again it mad no difference. Any idea how to troubleshoot this? I worked around this issue by mapping the guest's drive, but I'd like to get to the bottom of it.

0 Kudos
Luca61
Contributor
Contributor

One further step I took in trying to fix this.

Uninstalled VMware tools, reboot, installed VMware tools, reboot: no difference whatsoever.

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The real answer is to not use Drag and Drop provided by VMware Tools.  Use windows file sharing instead.

With that said, sometimes AntiVirus products can cause this type of error.  Try temporarily disabling any AntiVirus running on the Host and/or Guest to see if that makes a difference -- if so than you can start to play around with directory exclusions on your AV Real Time Scanner to try and get things working better for you.

chezuma
Contributor
Contributor

Usually i get out of space on target disk, but lately I get the error in question here instead, that was really confusing the first times.

But yeah, use the OS network tools instead! 

0 Kudos