VMware Communities
lmf___
Contributor
Contributor

Fedora 28: Guest on NAT network cannot route to internet.

Hi,

I've got a guest which has a NAT network NIC, but it cannot reach the internet, eg 8.8.8.8.

I've attempted recreating the network, as well as having network manager take over management of the vmnet8 NIC on the host, but have not had any success.

When I run a trace route from my guest, I see it reach the gateway and get no further. VMWare doesn't expose any further configuration which I can find, and on older version of vmware/fedora I've never had any issues with similar setups.

$ uname -a

Linux 4.18.5-200.fc28.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Sep 4 15:56:14 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

VMWare workstation version 14.1.3.

Is there any community guidance on such an issue?

Thanks

8 Replies
wenwang_myheave
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

To help us to debug the issues, could you pls help to provide following information:

1. WS build
    2. Host OS, Guest OS information
    3. Detailed steps about how to reproduce this issue
    4. ui log (should be under %TEMP%, you can get detailed log location under "Help > About VMware Workstation ")
    5. vm related log file (vmware.log), you can get the vm log file location by choosing the VM within VM library, then check "Help > About VMware Workstation".
    6. if there is a vm crash, there should be also *.dmp, *.corez file under the same location as vm log file, pls collect them as well
0 Kudos
Parveen1988
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

You could try below:

1. Shutdown the VM.

2.Go to Edit-Virtual Network Editor-Change Settings-Restore Defaults.

3. VM-Settings-Make sure that Network Adapter is set to NAT.

4. Power ON the VM, what is the output of ip addr ?

5. If the virtual NIC is not showing the IP address from NAT, try ifup ens33 (This could vary acc to your Machine).

0 Kudos
lmf___
Contributor
Contributor

The network is configured correctly. This same configuration works without issue on Fedora 26

I have done some further investigation. This is what I've found:

1. if I don't have a host adaptor connected to the network, then the guests can reach the internet, however the host cannot connect to the guests(as expected).

2. Performing packet tracing on the traffic, the traffic source is changing based on the above config, when no host adaptor is present the traffic is originating from one of  my host devices, eg eth0. However when I do have a host adaptor the traffic is originating from the vmware adaptor, IE vmnet8.

3. Based on this I believe there is a compatibility issue with how vmnet-natd performs nat routing and what network policy fedora 28 allows.

Given the above, is there a process for me opening a formal support ticket? host information is in the original post.

0 Kudos
yanw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Your Fedora28 host has only one Ethernet adapter (eth0) connected to the internet? Would you please past the "ifconfig" result of your Fedora28 host?

Parveen1988
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, this does make sense. By default, you should have 2 more NICS along with your Physical NICS.

Ifconfig would list that.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Are you sure that both the vmware-NAT service and the vmware-dhcp service are running ?
Also check if your resolve.conf has reasonable entries.

0 Kudos
lmf___
Contributor
Contributor

I can confirm the following:

1. The necessary VMware services are running:

root     20745  0.0  0.0   6956   180 ?        Ss   Sep26   0:00 /usr/bin/vmnet-netifup -s 11 -d /var/run/vmnet-netifup-vmnet8.pid /dev/vmnet8 vmnet8

root     20753  0.0  0.0  21228  5664 ?        Ss   Sep26   0:00 /usr/bin/vmnet-dhcpd -s 11 -cf /etc/vmware/vmnet8/dhcpd/dhcpd.conf -lf /etc/vmware/vmnet8/dhcpd/dhcpd.leases -pf /var/run/vmnet-dhcpd-vmnet8.pid vmnet8

root     20756  0.0  0.0 309088  3324 ?        S    Sep26   0:04 /usr/bin/vmnet-natd -s 11 -m /etc/vmware/vmnet8/nat.mac -c /etc/vmware/vmnet8/nat/nat.conf

2. the vmnet8 NIC is present in ifconfig on the host.

3. My resolve.conf entries aren't relevant, this is not a DNS issue.

At this point in time I believe its a firewall issue, as by adding the NIC to the trusted zone I have been able to get requests to successfully route out, yet receive packets.

Thank you all for your input.

0 Kudos
danielrstubbs
Contributor
Contributor

Is fedora the guest or the host?

0 Kudos