VMware Communities
TxSnoopy
Contributor
Contributor

Failure to add NIC to restored Server

Hello all, I am running VMWare Workstation 14 Pro with VMWare Tools 10.2.1. I have an Acronis 11.7 image of a Windows Server 2012 R2 that I restored to a VM. I am trying to add a virtual NIC to the server. The NIC shows up as an other device. When I try to update the driver to the VMware vmxnet3 ethernet adapter I get a message that says installing this device driver is not recommended because Windows cannot verify that it is compatible with your hardware. I click to continue the install. Then I get a message that ways Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device. This device cannot start. (Code 10) It shows up as an vmxnet3 adapter but has a yellow caution sign on it in device manager. Device status is This device cannot start. (Code 10) Operation failed. The quested operation was unsuccessful.

I downloaded VMWare Tools 10.2.1 and have it installed. I have removed the hidden and no longer present network adapters. I have been searching around, but I have not found the trick to resolving this yet.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone on here could point me in the right direction.

Lynn

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Susie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Have you modified the vmx file to use vmxnet3 driver?

eg:

ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"  ---> replace e1000 to vmxnet3

You may power off your VM and modify above line, then power on your VM and check whether it works.

0 Kudos