VMware Communities
IntenseMilk
Contributor
Contributor

Failed to stop vmware-tools.service: Unit vmware-tools.service not loaded.

When attempting to install vmware tools.. I get an error after initializing and it looks something like this:

here is the a picture of this error : Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet 

Here is the error typed out if you don't trust links :

Initializing...

Making sure services for VMware Tools are stopped

Failed to stop vmware-tools.service: Unit vmware-tools.service not loaded.

Unable to stop services for VMware tools

Execution aborted.

Please help, thank you very much Smiley Happy

10 Replies
LPuentes
Contributor
Contributor

Hi IntenseMilk,

I had the same problem when trying to install Arch+i3wm+vmwaretools(10.1.6)

Problem:

when invoking vmware-install.pl, I got:

Failed to stop vmware-tools.service or vmware-tools-thinprint.service

Solution:

After invoking vmware-install.pl with a "Execution Aborted" message.

Execute:

sudo perl /usr/bin/vmware-config-tools.pl --skip-stop-start

This will allow you to finish your installation/configuration.

You can check that: /etc/init.d/rc0.d and rc6.d have files for you next steps of configuring your guest.

JoseVaca
Contributor
Contributor

Just had the same issue with an Ubuntu 16.04 guest, then I realized that while installing with defaults (using "sudo ./vmware-install.pl -d"), the init scripts directory was set to "/etc/rc.d" instead of "/etc/init.d", so after setting it manually the installation finished successfully.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
edwardsereed
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you - this resolved my problem updating vmware-tools on OpenSuSE 12.1-64 guest running on Win10 host using vmware-desktop.

Who the hell creates 13,000 line perl scripts?

0 Kudos
Wandereran
Contributor
Contributor

Thx - excellent - works for me too

0 Kudos
Wandereran
Contributor
Contributor

Have the similar issue with workstation vmware-player 16.2. - Host Kubuntu 22.04 and guest Open Suse 15.4. - your tip with "sudo perl /usr/bin/vmware-config-tools.pl --skip-stop-start worked perfect. The 2nd with "sudo ./vmware-install.pl" did not.

Thx al lot.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@Wandereran You do not need to install VMware Tools on either of these Linux operating systems. Install the open-vm-tools and open-vm-tools-desktop packages provided by the distributions. 

VMware Tools for Linux are only maintained by VMware for older Linux distributions that do not provide open-vM-tools. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
Wandereran
Contributor
Contributor

The Opem-VM; has some disavantages. For example if you want to mount a partition of host system it does mostly not work. This was here my motivation to do it with the original vmware-tools. And it worked.

0 Kudos
Wandereran
Contributor
Contributor

Thx for your hint - Technogeezer

0 Kudos
Wandereran
Contributor
Contributor

Testing

0 Kudos
Wandereran
Contributor
Contributor

supplement:

Hi Technogeezer,
after a short time the VM-Ware guest Fedora 36 give the message that the VM-Ware-Tools are not working. Reinstalling failed because of an error and I am feeling forced to install open-vm-tools facing the same issue(folder hgfs is empty).
With the command "vmware-hgfsclient" I can see the set up shares. Inside the guest the command
sudo vmhgfs-fuse .host:/ /mnt/hgfs/ -o allow_other -o uid=1000
found in "ask ubuntu" solved the issue. Now inside the guest the folder hgfs shows the mounted shared folders.
Regards
0 Kudos